Chapter 61: A choice

Hi Guys Author here,
So sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this. I've been so busy and my motivation for my writing was gone. Thank you for all of your comments I appreciate them all. I'm not sure how regularly I'll be able to post but I do want to keep this story going as best as I can :)

I didn't sleep much that night. Too many thoughts rushed through my head about what to do.

Daryl kept bringing up the point that "This just ain't us" and "We ain't assassins"

By all accounts he was right. But it still seemed the only viable option. The only choice that didn't end up with us all dead or dying. The only choice that ensured our survival and that was all I cared about.

In all honesty, it didn't sit right with me either. I was slowly getting further and further from the person I aspired to be when I grew up. But then again I never took into account the world turning to shit and a surprising amount of the surviving humanity being so destructive and murderous. Not to mention bloody crazy.

On a scale of one to the governor it was pretty up there and yet again I came to the same conclusion. It was the only plan that would save at least some of us. It was a strong plan or a smart nor a particularly morally sound plan but

"It's the only choice we've got Rick." I had grabbed Rick and Hershel early the next morning after checking the perimeter. Daryl caught sight of my actions and of course followed along already knowing what I was going to discuss.

I looked at Hershel. The man who I could always count on the call us out when we were going just a little too far. He said nothing when I explained my idea but again wasn't necessarily supportive.

"No, it's not. The Governor, he gave me another offer, a way we all can live," Rick spoke but didn't make eye contact. Even he knew whatever he was planning on doing is wrong.

"Rick, what did ask for?"

"It doesn't matter, Lilith. We got this. I want you here looking after our people. Making sure we've got supplies. Can you do that?" He looked at me somewhat pleadingly which dulled some of the anger and frustration I was beginning to feel.

"Yes I can but I still don't know why you're not telling me. I thought you trusted me?" I questioned trying not to come across annoyed or hurt.

"I trust you L, course I do. But I need your mind on other things right now."

"Fine, I'll go but you need anyone else for whatever on earth it is your planning. You come to me, okay?" I said sternly.

"Okay."

I said goodbye and kissed Daryl on the cheek as I left. I decided to walk off the anger and do another perimeter check while I was at it. What was he planning? And why wouldn't Rick tell me?

Right. Fine. There's nothing I can do about that but I can protect this place.

I headed back to the cell block and found some of the others gathered there. They all still looked on edge.

"Morning, " I tried to be cheery. I failed miserably.
Sweeping some hair out of my face I looked at the group as some retuned my greeting.

"Okay look, currently I don't know anything. I don't know what we are going to do or how anything is going to go. But I do know what I can do right now, what we can do. And that is make the governor trying to take us down as hard as fucking possible."

"You've got a lot of barbed wire hanging around, fix that to some wood and you've got a good way to stop vehicles," Michonne spoke up.

"I've got a few scrap materials lying around we can use. I've got some metal doors from cabinets. Maggie and Glen, do you reckon you can get those fixed onto the bars of the watch tower to give us more cover?" I addressed the pair who looked at each other briefly and then nodded. "Okay, Carol can you take Beth and do a rough stock count of our supplies? Both food and weapons please."