Chapter 16: Target Practice

Many days had passed since the 'incident' and I wasn't living it down. Even though Daryl refused to admit it happened and so didn't talk about it.

T-dog and Glen on the other hand found it all hilarious finding me in the same bed as one Daryl Dixon. So whilst Daryl went back to himself glaring at Glen and T-dog just a little most times he saw them which was rare seeing as he was resigned to his tent still recovering from an arrow through the side.

I was still not walking correctly with the occasional pain but as I have found myself saying recently it was nothing I couldn't handle.

Today I was down with T-dog, Rick and Shane supervising the gun training. I stayed mostly at one side leaning against a car taking in the warmth of the sun. I was still wearing the tank top Glenn gave me but I had also gotten a black and red light flannel shirt to go over it so I could hide my scars.

Surveying the group there were actually some decent shots and I noticed Andrea had decided to pick her own target. But she was already getting a little full of herself. Things are a lot harder when you've got a moving target and even more so when it's a hostile.

I stretch my arms above my head gently attempting to relieve the tension in my side without busting the stitches.

"Woah, cool tattoo," I heard Carl say. As it had stretched my too had come up revealing most of my tattoo that was on the left side of my stomach. It was a skull embellished with roses and a vibrant green snake running up and through it, it's sleek head coming out of the eye socket.

"Thanks, bud," I laughed pulling my shirt back down. "You know maybe we can ask you Dad and you can get one too," I joked as Rick came over.

"Get what now?" He asked with a small amused smile on his face.

"A tattoo," Carl grinned.

Rick let out a loud laugh being eyeing me and Carl.
"A tattoo huh?" He laughed again crouching beside Carl. "No chance," he said causing the young boy to frown. He pouted playfully for a moment before going back to the gun. He aimed carefully taking a breath before shooting.

The bang rattled through the air and the shoot was good.

"Nice work bud," I congratulated.

It was a nice day and I was looking forward to trying to rest for a little more of the day. My head still wasn't great and gunshots weren't doing me much good but I had some experience as an instructor so Rick had asked me to come along.

Shane was taking Andrea for some moving target practice. For a little while so we would head back first and they would follow on later. I didn't know if that was good or bad. I mean I didn't really feel like anyone by themselves around Shane was safe but at the same time, it was Andrea. I really don't think she liked me that much and to be honest, the feeling was mutual. From her being obsessed with having a gun and using one to the point of going against orders and shooting a member of our group to the fact that she never seemed to understand the bigger picture and was too focussed on herself to realise.

"One more shot each then we're packing up!" Rick called to the mismatched group before us they all nodded in agreement and fired one last some hitting their targets some not leaving a varied reaction and mood amongst the group as we packed up.

"leave the targets where they are!" I called after a moments thought deciding I had missed doing some target practice myself.

"You gonna show us all up now huh, English?" Rick questioned as I drew my weapon, a custom Kimber 1911.

"Well, a little practice never hurt anyone," I reminded.

I walked a little ways back from the others observing the bottles and cans placed along the wooden fencing as the others bustled out of the way. Once they were gone I fired quickly six shots in total going left to right shattering the bottles and shooting through the cans expertly. I was glad to see I wasn't losing my edge when it came to shooting.

"Not bad for a brit," Rick teased.

"You do realise I have been here for over a decade right?" I pointed out with a laugh whilst flicking the safety back on my gun and holstering it once more. "Anyway. Let's get this lot back to the farm I'm sure there's lots we need to get done," I suggested prompting everyone to get back into their cars.

By the time we arrived back on the farm, it had gotten slightly cooler which I was grateful for. Carl was happy to be back too for on the journey back I had told him I had a surprise. This had even piqued the interest of one Rick Grimes.

Carl jumped out of the car excitedly making both Rick and I laugh.
"Wait here you two I'll be back in a minute."

I headed off to my tent finding Daryl laying down acting as if he was reading.

"How are you feeling grumpy?" I questioned tossing a few blankets aside trying to find my back of good. "I should probably tidy this up a bit," I mumbled fishing out the bag in question.

"Yeah ya probably should," Daryl replied with a smirk.

"Or maybe I'll just wait till you're better and then you can do it," I grinned.

"Well that's just rude," He half laughed half grumbled in typical Daryl fashion.

"Well I think I can make up for it," I declared unzipping the bag and fishing about for one of the sweets. I plucked out a blue lollipop.
"Here," I handed it to him.

"Where'd you find these?" He unwrapped the sweet eagerly popping into his mouth.

"Back in the car pile. I found them stashed in the boot along with some tins of food," I explained with a small smile as I fished out another candy bar and two more lollipops.

"You going to be less grumpy now?" I questioned.

"You still wanna hurt Andrea?"

I gave Daryl a confused look. When did he hear about that he was unconscious?

"Rick told me," he explained.

"Well, that's for me to know and Andrea to probably find out," I joked as I left the tent returning to Rick and Carl with a Lollipop already in my mouth. It was a blue raspberry one which had always been my favourite. Noah had always hated the taste so I always got all the raspberry flavoured sweets.

"Okay, Miss Mysterious. What is it?" Rick questioned.

"Ta-da!" I revealed the sweets handing Carl the candy bar and Rick the lollipop.

Carl cheered excitedly throwing his arm around me in thanks causing me to smile.

"Just savour it okay. Not sure when we'll find more," I reminded as he ran off.

"Thanks, Lilith," Rick smiled.

"No problem makes my day to see him happy. He's been through far too much." I said watching Carl run excitedly over to Lori to show her.

Somehow just seeing that had made my whole day brighter.