Chapter 37: Bad Timing

"Should we wake them?" I heard someone ask.
I was too tired and far too comfy to want to open my eyes.

"No, let them sleep, they've done a lot for us they could use the rest." A southern voice said.

"Besides, you really wanna be the one to wake up grumpy and grumpier." That was definitely the voice of T-dog.

I heard a slight grunt as an arm wrapped itself tighter around my waist. I was too tired to care about the small audience we seemed to have so much so I found myself falling back to sleep.

A little while later I was being poked when I finally opened my eyes I saw Carol looking at me, a large grin on her face.

"As cute as this is, Rick needs you both. I leave you to wake up sleeping beauty," She smiled.

Taking a deep breath I shuffled off of Daryl looking at his sleeping form for a second before poking him in the cheek.

"What?" The man grumbled.

"Time to get up Angel," I told him.

Daryl grunted in response and attempted to drag me back down onto the mattress.

"Nope, up, come on."

I grabbed him by the hand and started to drag him up off the floor. He fought it at first but eventually gave in and let me pull him to his feet.

"Rick wants us for something. We can sleep later," I said with a small. "Now come on."

We headed down and into the other part of the block. Rick, T-dog and Hershel were around one of the metal tables checking out a small number of weapons and armour.

"Impressive little arsenal you've got going on," I commented picking up one of the guns and examining it.

"Flashbangs, CS triple chasers. Not sure how they'd work on walkers but we'll take em," Rick said.

Daryl picked up one of the helmets and some sort of slime oozed out of it causing the man to grimace.

"I ain't wearing this shit."

"We could boil them," T-dog suggested holding up a glove covered in more unknown slimy substance than the helmet.

"Ain't enough firewood in the whole forest, no," Daryl insisted. "Besides we've got this far without them, right?"

"Agreed. Forgive me for not wanting to jump into some suspiciously slimed riot gear but I'll pass," I said.

                                  ***
"Think that might be a bit big for you bud," I laughed at the boy as he tried on one of the riot helmets. His hair was sticking up in all directions when he took it off causing a few of us to laugh.

"You won't need that." Rick took the helmet from his son. "Need you to stay put."

"You're kidding," The young boy exclaimed in disappointment.

"We don't know what's in there Carl. Besides I think your Dad wants you to hold the fort down here," I told him.

Rick nodded in agreement and Carl looked proudly at his father.

"If something goes wrong you could be the last man standing. I need you to handle things here," he said.

"Sure."

"Great, let's go."

This part of the prison was far worse than any other bit we had seen. It was nearly pitch black save for the beams of light that danced around from the many torches our small group carried. Skeletons lined the floor most were directly outside some of the cells. It looked like they were executed.