Chapter 60: Decisions

All of us were gathered in the cell block after the rest of us had arrived home. We all looked to Rick waiting to hear what, if anything, had come from his meeting with the governor.

"So I met this governor, sat with him for quite a while."

"Just the two of you?" Merle questioned.

Rick nodded.

"Shoulda gone when we had the chance."

It was addressed at Glenn more than anyone else. I could only guess that Glenn had shot down whatever plan Merle had been cooking up while we were out. Though we might be in a safer position if Glenn had gone along with it, there would've been no guarantee that we wouldn't have lost anyone. Not that that still isn't a possibility.

Merle wandered out of the room after that. Most likely he already knew what the governor would do. What I think most of us know he will do.

"He wants the prison. He wants us gone. Dead. He wants us dead, for what we did to Woodbury."

"So, what you're saying is, we're going to war," I stated.

Rick nodded once more then left us.

"I mean I would like to say I'm surprised but I think we all knew the likely hood of a peaceful resolution was small," I sighed. Most people agree with me either verbally or simply nodding.

"What do we do now?" Carol asked. "Surely we can't stay here?"

"If it's a fight this guy wants I'm more than happy to give him one. But I don't want to divide us. This is not a decision for one of us to make," I replied glancing around the slightly more nerve-wracked group.

"I say we take the fight to him. Take him out when he's not expecting it," Michonne spoke up and I noted Merle's agreement.

"Why risk, why risk ourselves in another fight when we can move on?" Carol questioned she was clearly worried about all of us.

"We made it on the road before. We can survive again. Find a new place maybe," Hershel added.

"I know we survived but that was no life. We were living in fear. Feeding on scraps. Here we have protection from the walkers a permanent place. And let's be real life on the road isn't exactly safe."

Many people we unsure about what they wanted. I knew what I wanted to do but still, I didn't want to risk the lives of anyone else.

I wandered outside to check on the few defences that we had. We needed to make more. Find better ways to defend this place. Well. That is if we chose to stay.

"Hey."

"Hey Glenn," I turned around to see the man joining me.

The sky was beginning to darken now. The swirls of dark oranges and slight red coated the sky and began to hide the walkers still trudging aimlessly about the yard.

"How are you doing? Sorry bit of a studious question isn't it?" I attempted to joke.

Glenn smiled slightly at my attempt seemingly appreciating the gesture.

"I mean, I'm stuck. The prison is the best place we've had since the farm," He began looking a bit uncertain. He wasn't really looking at me. More at the sky that offered some semblance of peace. "After what he did to Maggie. I want to fight. But I don't want to risk losing anyone. But leaving has the same risk."

"That's exactly what I've been stuck on. I think I have a way but I need to speak to Rick. Merle and Michonne seemed eager enough to take the fight to the governor. If I take them and we go in the middle of the night we would have a good chance of taking him out," I explained with determination. This was the only way I could find that would risk as few people as possible.