Chapter 46: Give and Take

Tears welled in my eyes and I smiled a little weakly at the woman who reciprocated the gesture.

With great care, Daryl picked Carol off the floor and we headed back to the cell block. I went ahead and grabbed a water bottle from my bag and when I rejoined the two, Carol was giving Daryl a hug.

I smiled at the pair leaning on the doorway.
Daryl looked up at me with a ghost of a smile on his face.

"I'll go get the others," Daryl said letting go of Carol gently and giving me a brief kiss before leaving the cell.

"No there's a match made in heaven," Carol commented, her voice still a little weak.

"You've just been through hell and yet you're already back to teasing me," I laughed through tears just about resisting throwing myself into her arms like a child.

Slowly I made my way over to her and gave her the drink of water.

"Words cannot describe how happy I am to see you." I broke a little more tears finally slipping down my face.

Carol pulled me into a hug and I rested my head on her shoulder. I felt an almost overwhelming sense of comfort and finally began to get control over myself again. I wrapped my arms around Carol though made sure to be as gentle as possible.

"You can't get rid of me that easily," Carol joked.

"I think you've spent too much time around me if you're starting to make jokes," I laughed pulling back slightly to look at Carol.

She rested her hands over mine and smiled at me.

"You're infectious Lilith. It's impossible not to pick up a thing or two from you."

"Just please don't go anywhere any time soon."

"I promise I won't."

I squeezed Carol's hands gently and pressed a kiss to her head before stepping out of the cell and wiping my eyes. The others soon joined me and I nodded my head in the direction of Carol. They were all happy to see her.

Rick met her first wrapping her in a tight hug looking l, for the first time in a while, like himself. Then Carol went to Hershel who hobbled over to her a little uneasily.

"Poor thing fought her way into a cell. Must've passed out from dehydration," Daryl explained from where he was leant against the stairs.

I stood next to Daryl and leaned gently on him remained watching in silence. I finally felt like I was putting myself back together small piece by small piece. Though I knew I would never be completely whole again and well... I hadn't been that way for

Then Carol caught sight of the little ass kicker. She smiled at the beautiful baby but then it dawned on her what it also meant as she looked back at Rick. The mood soured slightly as we were once again reminded of the loss of pieces of our family.

Carol hugged Rick tightly and I saw Carl looked just as upset as his father. I opened my arm to the young boy and wrapped it around him in comfort as he wrapped his arms around me.

"I know this must be so so hard for you but in the end, things will get a little better."

                                 ***
I was angrily muttering to myself as I sharpened the tips of my arrows. Was it so impossible for us to have one good day in this shit show?

We had lost Lori and T and only just got Carol back alive yet the universe couldn't give us a break. A woman had turned up at the fence carrying a basket of baby formula after some persuasion she told us what had happened.