Chapter 35: Not done yet

The fence was clipped open and we all slipped through. Glenn tied it up with rope and we pushed on.

The walkers knew we were here now and were already begin to mass at the inner fence growling and pressing their rotten faces up against it.

Daryl and I took the lead jogging over the light coloured gravel path surrounding the perimeter of the prison until we came to a small fence gate.

"It's perfect," Rick said looking over the yard.

"Sure is," I agreed with a small smile. "But we've still got a lot to do."

"If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard. We can pick off these walkers. We'll take the field by tonight," Rick declared.

"But how do we shut the gate?" Hershel questioned.

"I'll do it," Glenn spoke up. "You guys cover me."

"No, it's a suicide run," Maggie challenged shaking her head.

"I'm the fastest," Glenn argued.

"No," Rick said firmly whilst finalising the last bits of his plan. "You, Maggie and Beth draw as many as you can over there-" he pointed over to the far side-" Pop em through the fence. Daryl, Lilith you go back to the other tower. Carol, you've become a pretty good shot, take your time we don't have a lot of ammo to waste. Hershel, you and Carl take this tower."

"Quite a plan you've got there officer friendly. But you've got one thing wrong. I'm not letting you run through there by yourself," I said decisively.

"You'll need this " Carl handed me his gun with the silencer.

"Then you'll be needing this," I said handing him my gun. "Better give it back in one piece or I'll have to eat the rest of the sweets." I teased before turning back to Rick who was frowning at me.

"Lilith I'll be-"

"-fine as long as you let me come with you," I cut off Rick's protest.

"You sure?" Daryl questioned as he had been waiting for me.

"You worried about me, Angel?" I teased.

"I think he is," Rick added with a grin.

The redneck huffed, shook his head and jogged off to the tower on the far side.

Glenn, T-dog, Maggie and Beth began yelling at the walkers which were quickly drawn by the noise and came stumbling over only to be skewered.

"Keep him safe for me," Lori said to me quietly as she went to open the gate for me and Rick.

"I promise."

She opened the gate and Rick and I set off through the maze of wandering walkers. Following the path, we began to run shooting the closest walkers as we went. Rick nearly got shot on the way but we made it through.

Rick kicked away a walker and closed the gate as I covered him shooting any walkers that got too close.

"Quickly, the tower," I called opening the door and shooting the two walkers revealed from behind it.

We dashed up the stairs with burning legs and ragged breaths.

I broke out onto the balcony of the large square tower seeing a mass of corpses but still several alive and kicking. I shrugged my bow off my shoulder and notched an arrow.

I gave a little happy cheer as my arrow embedded itself in the skull of a walker.

"Nice shot English," Rick smiled.

"Thanks, Rick."

We were both grinning widely looking forward to seeing what this new home may bring.

One by one the diseased creatures crumbled to the floor and before long there were none left standing.

In such a short time the whole attitude of the group had changed. They were cheering and shouting as they crossed the large green space. I raced back down the metal steps the clanging of my boots on the metal echoed all the way down. I kicked open the door and jumped onto the grass.

Giving a cheer I spread my arms and basked in the heat of the sun. All this space all to ourselves. It was the biggest secure space we'd had since the farm.

As much as I wanted to lay down on the floor and rest there were still a few things to be done. First thing was the arrows. Both Daryl and I needed as many arrows as we could get. I went on a hunt around the bodies pulling our arrows and wiping them clean of blood and brain matter until I met up with Daryl.

I was still grinning like an idiot, I felt like this was the break we had been searching for a chance for us to finally heal from all the death and loss before winter. We had hope. I had hope.

"Got some arrows for you Angel," I said handing over a few of the arrows I had collected but kept a few for myself.

"Thanks, " He mumbled as his hand brushed over mine when he took the arrows from my hand. Made me realise that we never talked about what I did at the farm. I didn't know if it was because he chose to not acknowledge it ever happened or the man was simply too awkward to consider discussing it. I hoped it was the latter.

As darkness fell a fire was made and Carol and I cooked up the latest hunt for the group. We dished it out and sat down for a while. I still felt a little guilty. I had promised her daughter I would protect her and I'd failed. When I told Carol about it she had been so kind insisting it was not my fault and practically pestered me into forgiving myself.  She had been through so much and yet she was still one of, if not the, kindest people I had ever had the pleasure of meeting. She would always check up on me and Daryl making sure we were okay.

I sat by her side for a while enjoying the comfort she gave me just by being there. It was something I had never felt. Something I supposed I was probably deprived of in my childhood.

When Rick had circled around the fence for a second time I decided it was time I went and checked up on him.

"I'm going to go check on Daryl. Make sure he eats something tonight," she said to me as she rose from her spot, kissed my head and then set off in the direction of the redneck.

With a sigh, I pulled myself off the floor and spotted Rick on his walk again. Stretching briefly, I walked away from the fire and began to jog over to the concerned looking sheriff.

"Usually it's a penny for your thought but with the amount you look like you've got rattling round there, I think I might need about ten quid " I joked hoping to make the man seem a little less tense.

Rick chuckled slightly as I fell into step with him walking the perimeter. Walkers bashed against the fence sensing us, it rattling as we walked by.

"You've been around here twice already so either you're planning something and need time to think or you're avoiding something. Or both," I surmised looking expectantly at my friend for his answer.

"We've done a lot today but all the walkers there either inmates or guards."

"So the prison should be intact as would the supplies," I finished his thought. "So you want to push in tomorrow before the baby comes. I agree the prison would be a strong position for us to hold. Not to mention secure. So what's the plan?"