Chapter 29: Security

Sleep came and went as the night progressed nightmares starting to plague my dreams again as they had for some time but simply not as frequent. Daryl had helped, I hated to admit it but with him was the safest I had felt in a very long time.

When I woke up the next morning to the sun piercing through the tent wall stirring me from a rather restless sleep. Glancing up I recalled last nights events as I saw Daryl's face only inches from mine. For the time being, he was still asleep and I was too comfortable to move.

Soon a groan filled the air as Daryl stirred soon locking eyes with me, a tinge of red springing into his cheeks upon realising our position. Sensing that was my time to move I pushed myself up whilst attempting to smooth out my hair before tieing it up again.

"Ya sleep much?" Daryl asked sitting up and shrugging on his vest with the angel wings on the back.

"I think you know I didn't but thanks for asking," I smiled grabbing my shirt that was strewn on the floor and sliding it on.

By the time we had gotten over to where the body of Dale had been left a grave had already been dug in line with all the others with a ring of rocks lining the grave. Another one gone already though I supposed Dale would not be that last one we lose. I hope there would be a long time before we had to bury another.

I stayed for the small funeral they had for Dale though I stood far away from everyone else leant against a tree in the shade not feeling like I had been close enough to the man to deserve to be there. Listening intently to Rick words I studied the group again as I had always found myself doing - old habits die hard.

"You doing okay English?" Shane asked me as the test of the group slowly dispersed. I eyed him curiously he hadn't exactly been nice to me recently and as far as I was aware neither had I.

"What do you want?" I questioned coming to the only conclusion I could come to from Shane's question.

"I wanna get some people to go clear the area and find where that walker came from, thought you'd be good for the job," he said scratching his head and not looking at me directly.

"We need to make sure this place is as secure as possible so I'll meet you by the truck in ten with Daryl who you'll no doubt want to come as well," I said pushing myself off the tree and brushing some stray hairs out of my face as I wandered last Shane in the direction I'd seen Daryl head off.

"See ya in ten," he agreed.

"Oh and Shane. Next time don't pretend to be polite just ask we both know you're not concerned about how I'm doing so you're just wasting your breath," I concluded turning away from the former friend and going off in search of a new one.

"Hey, Angel," I smiled sauntering up to Daryl.

"What d'ya want?" He questioned not looking up from the arrows he was working on to look at me. Not really in the mood for messing with the redneck I explained what Shane had asked of us and a little while later I was sat between Daryl and T-dog in the back of the truck (Andrea being upfront with Shane) driving over the fields in search of any close walkers.

We pulled to a stop in the field spotting four walkers. With gritted teeth, I held my knife in a vicelike grip and charged forwards towards the closest walker. Feeling more furious toward the foul gits than ever I jabbed the walker in the skull over and over until it collapsed to the floor like a rag doll. The others dispatched the rest seemingly feeling the same anger I was as we all ended up kicking the corpses in rage.

"There's more round here than I thought," I said catching my breath.

"Might start doing regular patrols, try ta stop what happened to Dale from happening to anyone else," Shane decided resting his hands on his hips.