Chapter 55: A little time together

"Why now? I mean it's not exactly like we've been together long but now doesn't seem like the best time." I starfished over Daryl and the mattress.

"Ain't no best time really. Could be killed tomorrow for all we know. Could grow old together an die when we're 80 or some shit, who knows." Daryl laid down next to me.

"You truly have a way with words Angel," I laughed. "But for the record, I really do hope neither of us dies tomorrow."

"Wouldn't mind getting ta know ya for a little bit longer," Daryl admitted.

"Not much left to know about me is there?" I asked.

"You tell me?" He raised an eyebrow.

"What if I don't want to?" I crossed my arms over my chest as I sat up.

"Well, then ya can get lost and leave me ta sleep." Daryl pushed me away by the face.

"Oi! I don't want your grubby mitts all over my face!" I complained loudly and dramatically tackling Daryl back onto the blanket-covered floor.

Daryl scoffed loudly as he tried to bite back a laugh. "When was the last time you looked in the mirror?"

"Probably the last time you had a shower," I shot back poking him in the cheek before kissing the same spot.

A comfortable silence surrounded us for a while. I just snuggled closer to him enjoying the warmth despite the cold air that slithered in from outside.

"Do you have any other scars...with happier memories attached?" I asked quietly twisting onto my stomach and resting my chin on his chest to look up at him.

He thought for a moment. One arm wrapped over my back, his finger trailed random patterns on my back.

"One, but ts not exactly happy." Daryl presented me with his hand and I noted the small scar I traced down his palm. "Got it when I dragged your ass outta the CDC."

"You were so pissed at me for staying behind," I recalled fiddling with the USB that sat next to my locket that hung around my neck.

"Ya nearly got yaself blown ta bits over stupid files. Pretty sure I had the right to be pissed." Daryl poked me in the forehead.

"You barely knew me then."

"Yeah, but I knew. You already got me more than other people did."

"Daryl, I hate to spoil a pretty sweet moment but that I sooo cheesy!" I laughed and he joined.

"Don't mean it ain't true though."

"No, it doesn't Angel."

"Let's stop being depressin and cheesy." Daryl shoved me off of him again. He rummaged around a small box in the corner of the room and pulled out a dark bottle with the label half hanging off it.

"Ooo we're pulling out all the stops tonight." I grinned at Daryl resting my head in my hands as I lay on my front. As I reached for the bottle Daryl moved it out of my grasp. I whined and pouted at the scruffy redneck. "But I want some."

"You don't even know what it is!"

"Doesn't mean I don't want any Angel."

"What if I don't want you ta have any?" Daryl settled down a little ways away from me taking a swig from the mysterious bottle.

"Well, I kinda know that was what you intended. I mean sure you could argue that you hid the bottle just to keep everyone's literally grubby paws off of it but then you would've hidden it in your bag like everything else you don't want anyone touching. The fact that you chose to hide it here, a place that you intended on bringing me, would further prove that you in fact brought that to share not drink in front of me like an arsehole," I analysed with a grin.