Chapter 26: Archery

AN: Hi guys, thank you so much for 1K reads!

I jogged back up to the large white house grabbing a small cloth and disinfectant the heading swiftly back towards our tent where Daryl was working on his arrows again whilst rubbing his hand occasionally.

"Let me take a look," I offered causing Daryl to look up from his work and nod lightly. "Better not have broken anything, don't think I can take much more self-pity and whining," I teased taking his hand and examining it slightly.

"Hey, I ain't complaining." Daryl fired back with a small smile playing at the corner of his lips.

"I don't think anything's broken," I said beginning to clean away the drying blood.

"What makes you an expert on broken hands?" Daryl questioned taking his hand back once it was clean for the most parts seemingly a little uncomfortable with the gesture.

"Cause I was in the habit of getting into fights and breaking mine on occasion. Never anything major, more fractures really. Noah was always telling me off, saying he didn't need protecting but I wasn't about to let him have all the fun in the fights." I laughed lightly at the memory of the countless times I had found myself in a fight after school more often or not getting a few bruises at least for my troubles.

"Ya brother a trouble maker then?" He asked handing me an arrow that needed sharpening then taking one for himself.

"Hardly," I chuckled taking out my knife that had a small amount of blood on the tip. "Noah was just in the habit of standing up to the bullies of our school and also not being able to keep his mouth shut sometimes. I tell you he had a smart come back for literally everything," I smiled whittling away at the arrow. "We had always been so close...when he died I-i didn't know what to do. Everything that ever happened to me was worth it for him...he kept me going you know and then..." I sniffled a few tears starting to form. I'd never talked about him and I couldn't stop myself before the words had come pouring out.

"Sounds like a good guy. Wish I coulda met him," Daryl mumbled glancing up at me with a slightly sad look as more tears began to cloud my vision.

When I heard Daryl scoff in irritation I followed his gaze to see Dale wandering up to us.

"Whole point in me comin' up here was ta get away from you people," Daryl pointed out as I handed him the arrow I had been working on.

"Gonna take more than that," Dale said. I turned my back to the men wiping my eyes furiously with the back of my sleeves hoping neither one had noticed.

Dale began to try and convince Daryl to help him with his fight against the killing of Randall and not making much headway at all.  I just sat picking at another arrow attempting to sharpen it whilst I pulled myself out of my sad haze not really paying attention as the two men conversed behind me.

"What about you Lilith? You can't be willing to go along with this? You're a decent woman, probably wouldn't hurt a fly unless you had to," Dale pushed and I nearly scoffed. The man couldn't be more wrong on that front.

"Leave her outta this. Lilith's done enough for the group as it is an she don't need you on her case too," Daryl snapped.

I pushed myself off the floor finally composing myself again. Brushing my clothes off, I gave Daryl a small grateful smile before turning my attention to Dale.

"Don't pretend to know me Dale because you don't," I sighed. "As far as I am concerned that guy is not innocent and while what he's done in the normal world wouldn't lead to a death sentence we're not in that world anymore. It's not a choice I'm happy we have to make but we have no choice and I think Rick's made the right one," I concluded turning away back to the tent to fish out the bow I had found.

I heard Dale let out a frustrated sigh then trudge away from our little campsite.

"You aren't mad that I'm here right?" I questioned hiding the bow behind my back and nervously digging the toe of my boot into the ground.

"Nah, was a bit a first but ya don't pester me or anythin'. Ya alright to have around," Daryl answered.

"If I didn't know any better I'd say that was almost a compliment, Angel," I laughed.

"Don't get used to it, fancy pants," he grumbled looking intently at his crossbow.

"Also speaking of pestering...I was wondering if you could teach me how to use this," I said revealing the bow. "Noah and I had always wanted to learn and we tried a couple of times but I wasn't very good..."

I shot Daryl a pleading look needing something to take my mind of everything just for a little while and with this at least I was still being productive with my time. That is if Daryl would give me a hand.

"Sure, lemme see it," Daryl decided as I handed him the bow with a smile. "Pretty decent recurve bow. You find it back on the interstate?" He asked handing it back to me and then grabbing a few arrows.

"Yeah, I found it with the arrows but I thought I'd wait to ask for the archery lessons." I smiled a little awkwardly.

"Let's see what ya got, fancy pants," He said giving a small gesture to the tree a little ways away from us. I notched an arrow and drew the string back trying my best to aim. I gave a little cheer when I didn't miss the tree.

"Not bad," The redneck mused. "For a beginner. Ya need to get ya elbow up more, keep the bow closer to your body, " he told me as he went to yank the arrow out of the tree.
"Try again." He threw me the arrow.

This time when I drew back the string Daryl corrected my position a little.
"Aim for the notch in the tree. Take a breath then let go. I didn't quite hit my mark but it was close enough to put a small smile on my face. I kept practising for a lot of the day Daryl correcting me a little as he worked on his arrows.

"Keep practising and you might just be half decent," Daryl teased with a small smile and taking the bow from my grasp to fire an arrow himself. He hit where I had been aiming for. The arrows sinking into the middle of the ringlets emerging from the side of the tree.

"Show off," I muttered.

"Relax, fancy pants. You'll improve...eventually," He smirked setting the bow down next to the crossbow.

"Yeah well, I'm pretty sure I'm better with a gun," I countered stepping a little closer.

"Oh really," he challenged moving closer as well. "I think I'll need some proof before I believe that.

" Uhhh, can you guys get back to flirting later? We're having the meeting about Randall," Glenn a little awkwardly as I jumped away from Daryl only just realising how close I had been to the man.

"We weren't flirting," I stammered feeling my face heat up not being very used to those kinds of interactions.

I headed off the house close after Glenn.

"You blushing," Daryl whispered.

"Shut up."