Chapter 52: Decisions or lack there of

Tensions were still high when we woke the next morning and understandably so. From what I'd be told and what I'd seen the man attacking us had more than a few screws loose.

I started getting together my gear ready to go and ready to fight. Though, I didn't want to give up on this place just yet.

"We're not leaving." Rick wasn't looking to argue on that point it seemed.

"We can't stay here. "

"What if there's another sniper? A wood palette ain't gonna stop one a those rounds."

"We can't even go outside."

The Greenes all had fair points.

"If Rick says we're not running we're not running," Glenn stepped in.

I sat on steps and watched for now. Listening to the others.

"No? Better to live like rats?" Of course Merle Dixon had to open his mouth.

"You got a better idea?" Rick challenged.

"Yeah, you should've slid out of here last night live to fight another day. But we lost that window didn't we I'm sure he's got scouts on every road outta this place by now."

I raised an eyebrow a little in surprise. I think it was just about the least rude and most intelligent thing I've ever heard him.say.

"We ain't scared a that prick," Daryl finally spoke.

"Y'all should be. They truck through the fence thing. That was just.him ringing the doorbell. We may have thick walls to hind behind but he's got the guns and the numbers. If he got the high ground around this place. Well shoot he could just starve us out," Merle explained.

"We should put him in another cell block," Maggie said.

"No," Daryl and I started together but he nodded for me to continue.

"As much as I hate to say this. The guy has a point and he's got the most knowledge about this whack job so for now he's useful."

"This is all you! You started this!" Maggie snapped at Merle who just looked away. Perhaps actually realising it was.

"What's the difference who's fault it is?" Beth came in a the voice of reason. "What do we do?"

"I said we should leave. Now Axels dead," Hershel began and suddenly Rick was uninterested in listening he was walking away. "Get back here! You're slipping Rick, we all understand why but this is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy. Now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands. So get your head clear and do something."

As the group dispersed I went off on my own grabbing some shall that we used before and taking to an unused cell. Yanking the pathetic excuse for a bunk bed out of the cell didn't take to long and I has an entirely bare room save for the toilet and general grime. I set down my chalk and went off to the guard tower inside the prison. The corpse was in the same.place we had left it or at least it was until I shoved it out of the way.

The stench in the room had gotten a lot worse than before though it was a smell I was, unfortunately, more used to than I would like. Rifling through the draws I found a whole lot of things that I wished I hadn't before finally getting to what I was after. Blueprints.

A lot of the rest of the morning was spent in the little cell sketching out our sections of the prison and the various barricades we had in place for now. I wanted to protect this place. It was our home now. I wasn't going to give it up easily.

I was drawing over the white sketch in different colours highlighting vulnerable points and strong ones. Going over different tactics in case of attack. Well...when we're attacked.