Chapter 11...

Jennifer's POV...

It's been 2 days since I kissed Emily and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't all that I've thought about.

I haven't seen her since I ran out, and I'm starting to think it's because of me. I came in the next day hoping to talk to her, to apologise and attempt to explain myself in any way that I could, but she wasn't here. Nobody else has told me anything and I don't feel like I can just drop her a message asking where she is.

Now we sit at the round table – Emily still missing – going over a case we're about to depart for: a cold case opening again after a 4th body was found. The killer was thought dead in hurricane Katrina, until a letter, claiming to be from the unsub, was sent to a friend of mine who's heading up the investigation: Will Lamontagne.

"Wheels up in 20," Hotch says snapping us out of the unusual silence we've found ourselves in. He takes no time in leaving the room – that man is all work and no play.

"Wait, isn't Prentiss coming with us?" I ask, but he's already gone. Instead, Rossi answers me.

"She's taking time off."

"Why, what's she-"

"It's personal," he says abruptly before following after Hotch.

I turn around to look at the boys left in the room, they both shrug their shoulders – I guess they don't know where she is either. I narrow my eyes at Morgan, he does know her best, but I guess she really didn't say anything to him.

"Come on then boys," I say picking up my go-bag, and heading out to the jet.

The flight to New Orleans takes us less than 3 hours, we really don't have much to go on so it's a pretty quiet ride; I don't feel like talking, I just lay my head against the window and let myself drift off to somewhere much happier.

After what felt like no time at all, Spence gently woke me up and half of us set off to the latest crime scene. Spence, Morgan and I went to downtown New Orleans to meet the police at the scene, while Hotch and Rossi went to the station.

We duck under the crime scene tape and I'm met with a friendly face.

"JJ!" He calls in a thick Louisiana accent, "It's great to see you again."

"I wish it could be under better circumstances," I reply shaking his hand. I see Morgan flicking his eyes between us so I quickly introduce the boys. "This is SSA Morgan and Doctor Reid," Morgan shakes his hand and Spence gives him a small wave.

We talk through the crime scene and read over the letter sent to will; I don't know him that well, but we've worked together on a few cases and we went on a date once or twice, but it didn't work out.

The days fly by, Morgan and Reid end up jetting off to Texas to conduct more interviews, so I'm pretty much left with will the entire time. 2 days after we arrived he took me to a bar close to the station – an apparent favourite for cops in New Orleans – because he said that I needed to 'unwind'.

"So Princess..." He starts after participating in small talk with me for a few minutes. I sigh, dramatically throwing my head back in the process.

"I hate when you call me that,"

"No you don't," he says, a small smirk playing on his lips.

"Well we're not dating anymore-"

"Were we ever really dating?" He interrupts.

"Anyway," I break the awkward silence that seemed to have washed over us, "we should probably keep looking at the case."

"Do you know that you have the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen?"