Chapter 2...

Emily's POV...

The next day I get to the bureau 20 minutes early.

I wasn't surprised to see Agent Hotchner already sat in his office; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I found out he'd been there all night. He has the demeanour of a single, career focussed man, but I know he has a wife and small boy at home. Despite this, something tells me he's just as serious about his job as he looks, and he would rather work himself to death than attempt a smile.

I spoke to the head of facilities management, and they designated me a desk opposite a 'Spencer Reid' - at least, that's what the name card said. His desk is lined with books and I can't help but wonder how he finds time to get through them all while he's at work. He must read pretty fast.

My desk looks bare compared to the ones around me: a box of files shoved underneath and a pathetic fake plant in the corner. The one across from me is super messy, but it looks like the desk of someone who belongs here.

"Derek Morgan," I read aloud from the name card.

"That's me," a smooth voice from behind me says. Startled, I quickly turn around to see the owner of the voice. A tall, muscular man stands in front of me with a charming grin on his face. I instantly recognise him as the guy who was definitely breaking HR's code of conduct yesterday with Garcia. "And what can I call you?"

"You scared me!" I say, holding out my hand, he takes it.

"Interesting name," he says right as I say "Emily Prentiss." I chuckle, he smiles and I just know he wins over all the women with that.

"Right," he starts, "you're-"

"Ambassador Prentiss' daughter. Yes." I say quickly, cutting him off.

"I was going to say, new to the team,"

"Ah," I sigh and bite my lip, "yeah."

"Well Emily Prentiss, I'll see you up there," he says and walks - more like struts - over to the coffee machine.

I make my way into the briefing room, and I'm greeted by 2 friendly faces: Penelope Garcia, the exuberant technical analyst and Jennifer Jareau, the welcoming communications liaison for the team. I try to direct my eyes away from her - I would like to continue breathing today.

She begins briefing me on protocol, but eventually starts gossiping about how nice the BAU's jet is. This gets an exaggerated sigh from Garcia, my best guess is that the technical analyst doesn't get as much time on the plane as she'd like.

They both begin giving me in-depth descriptions of the other members of the team, and in less than 10 minutes, I hear about Morgan's irrational fear of pigeons, Reid's trouble with girls, and most interestingly, the twisted game they were forced to play that involved a head being delivered straight to Gideon's door.

"Everybody meet Agent Prentiss." I hear, as Hotchner enters the room.

"I've been filling her in on protocol," JJ quickly informs him, sending me yet another wink. What is this girl trying to do to me?

Agent Hotchner and JJ take lead on the briefing; I'm thrown into the deep end as I see a machine, thought to disperse a chemical weapon, come up on the screen. Dealing with a terrorist attack on my first day was not exactly what I had in mind.

Despite the combined IQ of the team, there's a sudden lull in the conversation, and I realise this is my chance to show them that I belong.

"They're called Al Ikhterra, literally 'the invention.'" I force my voice to sound confident, suddenly glad I'm fluent in Arabic.