Chapter Sixteen

Natalie~

Natalie's ears were ringing as she slowly pushed herself up from where she laid on the floor.

What the hell just happened? Was that a bomb in that box?

Smoke alarms were wailing all around her but she could barely see anything through the darkness and smoke.

Pierce. Where's Pierce?

She swiveled her head around the room, opening her eyes wide to try to see through the darkness.

"Pierce!" She yelled.

Silence.

Oh God no.

Another loud bang followed by a flash of light from behind her grabbed her attention as a gas container exploded from within the garage sending flames licking up the walls. The reddish ominous glow provided just enough light for her to see a figure laying face down on the floor. He was still. Way too still.

"Oh my God, Pierce!" She screamed as she rushed to his side.

Please don't be dead. Please don't be dead.

She frantically inspected him as best she could in the dim lighting, feeling his pulse first before surveying the damage done to his body.

He's alive. He's just unconscious.

A gash on his head was probably the cause of his lack of movement and response, but from what she could see it wasn't too terribly deep. Grunting with effort, she rolled his large body onto his back and tried to wake him, shaking his arms and tapping his cheek, desperate for any form of response.

Thick smoke started bellowing from the flames that danced along the wall, stinging her eyes and filling her lungs in the process.

"Pierce! Please wake up." She begged.

Another gas can exploded to her left fueling the intense flames and her desperation to wake Pierce.

"Please Pierce! I need you to wake up! We have to get out of here!"

She coughed and hacked as the smoke grew thicker.

"I can't carry you Pierce! I need you to wake up!"

But her pleas were only met by silence and stillness.

Panic seized her heart and lungs as she surveyed the growing flames and amount of smoke in the large garage, realizing that they needed to move or they were going to die.

I know you think you can't move him, but you have to. You have to move him. Make yourself move him Natalie.

Using her fear for his life as fuel she steeled her spine and got to work, knowing that she didn't have a choice. He needed her.

Get your bearings. Where is the safest exit? Think about where you need to take him.

The door leading outside was nearest to the gas canisters that exploded, she'd have to take him through the way they came, through the kitchen and front office. It wasn't that far but considering she'd be dragging almost double her own body weight it might as well have been miles away.

He let out a cough which pulled her attention immediately, but he remained unmoved and unconscious. The problem was that his mouth was open and he was mouth breathing deeply in his unconscious state. Removing her shirt, she wrapped it around his nose and mouth and readied herself to move his massive body.

There was no way in hell she was going to be able to carry him, which meant dragging him was her only option.

She slid her arms underneath his armpits trying to find a way to grip him well enough to pull his weight. Her hands finally found a good hold as she wrapped them under his arms, taking a hold of the front of his thick shoulders.