Chapter Forty One

Pierce~

Pierce's relief that his team had located them was short-lived when he saw how pale Natalie was against the tree. There seemed to be more blood on that towel than in her face, and her lips were starting to turn a pale blue color.

He picked her up and got her to the truck as fast as he could and saw Kincaid at the ready, opening up the back so they could lay her down.

"Fuck." Kincaid muttered at the sight of Natalie's pale, shaking body.

Caleb took control, barking orders at Kincaid as he leaned over Natalie to see the extent of the damage, making sure he controlled his expression as soon as he came into her line of sight. 

"Let me take a look at this Nat." Caleb soothed in a calm voice, removing her limp hand from the wound it was covering.

Caleb smiled as he pressed his fingers into the side of her neck to feel her pulse before rubbing his hand gently across her hairline to comfort her. 

"Ah it's just a scratch Darlin'. Nothin I can't handle. I'm gonna get you all taken care of."

Thank God.

She didn't nod this time, only closed her eyes and slipped out of consciousness, which was expected, but terrifying.

"Keep some pressure on that." Caleb ordered Kincaid who immediately complied, leaning his body weight into Natalie's bleeding side. 

Caleb took off for his medical bag in the driver's seat with Pierce following right behind him. He took notice of Caleb's body language and facial expressions that had changed drastically in the past ten seconds. Caleb was frantic and frenzied with a deep scowl that stretched across his clenched jaw. This wasn't the light hearted, positive Caleb that Pierce knew, which had to mean only one thing.

"It's bad Pierce." Caleb said.

"But you just said..."

"Listen to me...It's real fucking bad. She's lost too much blood." Caleb said, locking eyes with him.

"Then let's get a clot kit out and take care of it." Pierce suggested reaching for the medical bag himself.

"A clot kit won't stop hypovolemic shock."

"Okay then what does she need?"

"Blood. She needs blood. Do you know her blood type?"

Fuck.

"No, I never thought I'd need to know that."

Caleb let out an angry growl, running his hand through his hair and squeezing his eyes closed searching for an answer that wasn't there.

"Can we at least try a clot kit, maybe it will help." Pierce begged.

"You're not hearing me man. Even if I get her clotted up she's lost too much blood already. That's why she's so pale and breathing so fast. Her heart is pulling blood from all her outer extremities because there isn't enough blood left in her body to keep her heart pumping."

Caleb sighed hard before he continued.

"She needs blood and the closest hospital is over an hour away."

Pierce felt a piece of his soul leave his body, finally understanding what Caleb was trying to say, but needing verbal confirmation.

"So what are you saying?"

Caleb's eyes were tortured and dark, locking onto Pierce's as if he were about to deliver a death sentence.

"She's dying, Pierce."