twenty-three

And we'll never be royals (royals). It don't run in our blood, That kind of luxe just ain't for us. We crave a different kind of buzz. Let me be your ruler ≈ Royals, Lorde

I know what has happened the minute I wake up, sitting on the hard, cold, concrete floor. I hear a small, sadistic chuckle from the other side of the room. 

"Jacob, what the hell do you want?"

My voice was unrecognizable. It's hoarse, and it's angry. But most of all, it's strangled. I was trying not to cry.

"Patience really isn't your forte, is it?" He sneers.

I just laugh. Humourlessly. "Not when I'm being held hostage by you, it's not. Now, it's clear you have some unknown motive, because I'm sure you don't just kidnap blind humans for the sake of it." I say through gritted teeth. I don't know if I'm more angry or sad or scared.

"Now, now, Gemma. I would have thought everyone would have warned you about what happens when you make a Werewolf angry."

I want to scream at his mocking voice. I want to cry for Kyle. I want to kick and punch until I break Jacobs bloody nose, and I want to crawl into a corner until this all blows over.

Well, that's what I would've done. Before I met Kyle.

Kyle.

I push away those thoughts as soon as they come. I can't afford to get distracted, I have to focus on Jacob and what he really wants.

"I've been warned quite a few times, thank you."

"Then I wouldn't push me because my Wolf is very close to coming forward."

A shiver passes down my spine. I've encountered Kyles wolf once, when he marked me. And although I've moved past that, it still scares the absolute crap out of me. The fact that, when he is in control, Kyle is gone. No sense of control, no opinion on what's happening. It's just his Wolf, who's an Alpha, and who's first instinct is to protect me, no matter who gets hurt in the process.

I bow my head low, submitting to him before he gets angrier.

"So, you up for a story?" 

I nod my head slowly, unsure of how this is going to play out. A story? 

"A few years ago, three, to be exact, there was this girl. She was beautiful, she was human. And, she was my mate. I spoke to her and we fell in love the human way, without her being aware of what I was."

I listen quietly, trying to take in every detail I can. 

"My mum was the oldest in her family, and her dad happened to be the Alpha. When my parents met, they mated and became Alpha and Luna of their Pack. Of my Pack. I'm the eldest child in my family so I was next in line for the Alpha position."

I gulp at the word was. Oh God.

"Jess was amazing. But she needed to know who I really was. What I really was. I took her out on a date, we had a great night. Then I took her into the woods, and she started getting a bit frightened. I promised her nothing bad was going to happen, that I would protect her. Then, after making her promise she wouldn't run away, I shifted right in front of her."

Dammit. This is not going to end well. At all.

"She screamed, she was terrified. My Jess was terrified of me. So I shifted back right away and watched as she looked at me in horror. I watched as she screamed when I took a step closer to her. I watched as she yelled at me to stay back. She called me a monster, a freak. I tried to explain, I really did try. But she screamed at me, telling me how much she hated me. Hated. Me."

He pauses, probably to let the words sink in. I take in a deep breathe, knowing that the punch line is coming soon. Real soon.

"She was on her way home, driving in her car, when a drunk driver rammed into the side of her car. She died right there, before I or anyone could come to her aid. My mate, after telling me how much she hated me, died in a car accident."

This time I gulp, finally realising what he is getting at. I was in a car accident. I survived.

"You see, Gemma, I've always been jealous of Kyle. He somehow always managed to be a step ahead of me. We were both future Alpha's but he really did have it all. And then you show up. A little, innocent human. Oblivious to how important you really were to our world, and how much you could change it. And then, when you find out what he is, you welcome it with open arms and get your bloody happily ever after."

My breathing picks up. He's jealous. He is a heart broken, jealous, angry Werewolf. I'm a blind, defenseless human. My odds aren't looking good.

Kyle.

"So, I made a plan. Kidnap you, turn your world inside out, upside down, destroy every little good thing about you, and then make sure Kyle finds you." He pauses, and my heart beats loudly in my chest. "On the brink of death."

Well shit. 

"And how are you going to turn my world 'inside out, upside down'?" I choose to ignore the 'brink of death' situation for a moment. This seems like a pretty big thing.

"You see, the thing is, I haven't told you the full story. I have two people who are very very important to you. And I think it's about time I bring them in and they can tell you the rest of the story."

I hear someone mumble something before a loud, heavy sounding door opens and feet shuffling.

"Oh, don't be shy. Say hi." Jacob says, his voice sickly sweet and faking enthusiasm.

"Gemma."

My whole body freezes. My breathing stops. My heart hammers faster and faster after hearing her voice.

I shut my eyes. This isn't possible. She's dead. She's dead. She's dead. She's dead. She's dead.

"Gemma?"

He's dead as well. I'm dreaming. No. They're dead.

"Oh, come on, Gemma. Say hi to your parents."