twenty-one

But I'm only human. And I bleed when I fall down. I'm only human. And I crash and I break down. Your words in my head, knives in my heart ≈ Human, Christina Perri

 Kyle drove me home from the hospital, the drive fairly quiet. It wasn't because we had nothing to talk about, believe me there was, it was because he was so exhausted. I could feel it, hear it. I couldn't see it, but that didn't mean I didn't notice.

"Come on, Gem." He says, helping me out of the car.

I go slowly, for both my sake and his. He's tired, I'm blind. He's trying to stay awake while I'm trying not to freaking trip over something.

We walk inside the Pack House, every one growing silent as soon as the front door opens. It makes me nervous, that so many people are watching me and I don't even know about it. 

Kyle growls. The sound low and warning. He can feel my discomfort.

The talking picks up again and Kyle walks me up the stairs slowly, taking them one at a time. I have an arm wrapped around his waist, my body leaning against his in everyway bringing us together. 

"If you think I'm sleeping and you're leaving, you've got it all wrong." I comment as we walk into the bedroom.

"Gem, I have t-"

"Just lie down for a bit, Kyle. You're exhausted and it isn't going to help anyone. Get some sleep." I mumble as I climb under the covers.

I hear him sigh as he climbs in next to me, his arm instantly pulling me against his chest.

"I know, and I'm sorry I've been so tired lately. It's just all the paperwork is piling up on my desk and my cousin who I don't get along with is coming for a few weeks. All that, on top of the fact that you were in hospital  and I just haven't had much time for sleep."

"Just lie here with me. Forget everything else." I mumble into his chest as sleep closes in on both of us.

*

"She's a human, Kyle! She doesn't belong here!"

"Don't you dare! You don't know her. She isn't just any other girl, Jacob! She is my mate."

"You're putting the whole Pack in danger. How are you supposed to be an Alpha with a human ruling at your side!"

"Listen to me, and listen closely. You can challenge me for my title all you want, I don't give a fuck. But you do not, DO NOT, speak about my mate that way, understood? You're lucky I'm even letting you onto my Territory after the shit you pulled last time."

A door slams, and I hear angry footsteps coming into the bedroom before Kyle slams the door.

"You need to calm down." I whisper. He stops walking and takes a deep breath.

"Gemma." He breathes out, the bed dipping beside me.

"Calm. Down." I order sternly when I feel how angry he is, how riled up he is.

"He has some nerve, coming here and saying that." Kyle mutters into my neck as he pulls me close.

"Who?" I ask quietly, wrapping my arms around him.

"That was my cousin, Jacob. He got here a few hours ago, when we were asleep. Let's just say he doesn't approve of you being Luna. Which pisses me off beyond being pissed off." 

"Everyone has their own opinion." I mutter, pretending like I don't care when really, it hurts.

I don't 'officially' know Jacob, but he's Kyles family.  I'm don't want to be the reason Kyle is fighting with his family. I can't be the reason, because I'm already enough of a burden on everyone.