nine

Remember those walls I built? Well, baby they're tumbling down. And they didn't even put up a fight. They didn't even make a sound. I found a way to let you in - Halo, Beyonce

"I need to talk to her, let me see her!"

"I said no, now leave."

"Let me see her." 

"She doesn't need this, Aaron, not right now. Leave her alone and go back to where you've been living." Drew's voice is loud, almost a yell.

A fierce growls rips through the air, fully waking me up from my sleep. I feel a tense body next to me. Kyle.

His body moves from next to mine, climbing out of the bed before I hear the bedroom door open and close softly. 

"You two need to keep it down, now.

"Alpha, please, I need to speak to her. I need to speak to Gemma." Aaron's voice sounds desperate, pleading almost. What could he possibly want to talk to me about? I have nothing to say to him and I doubt he has anything to say to me that I want to hear. 

"She's asleep. If you really want to talk to her then why don't you and Drew go downstairs and wait for her to come down instead of fighting outside of her bedroom."

That's all Kyle says before coming back into the room and climbing back into bed beside me. "Morning Angel." I mumble something incoherent as I wrap my arms around him, pulling him towards me. "You're a popular girl this morning. Aaron's waiting for you downstairs if you're up to talking to him."

"What more could he possibly have to say to me?"

"Do you want me to be honest with you or just agree with you?"

"Honest please."

"I don't know what he could have to say, but I think it's worth hearing him out.

••

I walk downstairs with Kyle by my side, especially while we descended the stairs. It still makes him nervous watching me on the staircase, so I hold his hand and we go down together.

"Morning Gem," Ryan's voice greets me.

"Morning Ry. Has anyone cooked anything for breakfast?"

"There's some toast in front of you if you want it."

"Gemma, Gem I need you to come outside and talk to me, please. It's really important." Aaron's voice calls out to me, pleading. 

He sounds desperate, tugging on the heartstrings that will always be attached to my fellow triplets. 

"Aaron, she just woke up. Give her a second." Kyle says, his hand tightening on mine. 

"No, it's okay. You stay here, I'll go outside with Aaron." I say, letting go of his hand. 

His lips meet mine for a peck. "Are you sure?"

I nod and reach my hand out. "Aaron, can you please help me outside?"

Aaron's hand wraps around mine, my older brother holding me for the first time in four years. He used to be my rock, the one I went to when I was upset. The shoulder I cried on, the ear that would listen to my rants. I wonder how different he looks now. We walk through the house, out into the backyard. I tell him to take us into the sunshine so I can sit down, feeling the soft grass underneath me. 

"What's this about Aaron?"

"I need to tell you the truth."

My heart speeds up a bit, but I'm unsure whether it's out of anticipation or anger. I start to stand up from my spot on the grass. "I'm not going through this again with you. You're only going to hurt me more if you keep trying to justify disappearing out of my life."