twenty-eight

When the night gets cold. And the lights go out. The sun is gone behind the clouds. When you feel lost, then I'll reach out. To guide you home with my lighthouse ≈ Lighthouse, GRL

I stay quiet, while Kyle's powerful growl echoes through the room.

I feel every inch of my body stiffen with the tension in this room, finding myself in a situation I never once thought I would be in.

Why are my parents acting like this? 

"You don't get to tell me what right I have to see my mate." Kyle's voice is deeper than usual, the ever-telling signal that his Wolf is pushing forward and gaining control. 

You need to calm down. It's okay.

"She's our daughter. You're just an Alpha who claimed her as his mate." My dad barks back. 

Why the hell do they keep pushing him? 

Confusing sweeps through me, as does the feeling that I'm once again missing something. None of this makes sense. Why is everyone so mad at the moment? I feel like I'm missing out on knowing something.

You know that isn't true. You're my mate. They don't know us. They don't know you, or me. Ignore them.

"Yes, an Alpha. Whose territory you are standing on, right now. Don't make me do something in front of my mate that I will regret." Kyle growls back, his hand snaking into mine. His touch instantly makes me feel warm and safe, despite the hostile and cold feeling in this hospital room. 

"It's not like she'd be able to see it anyway. You do realise that her condition is permanent? No matter what you do to try to fix it." My mum's voice sounds snarky, angry, cold. This isn't the parents I remember. 

These people aren't my parents.

It is not their place to tell Kyle the reality of the situation, he's had enough people throw that in his face over the last few months. Me included. I don't need them to come back into my life after destroying it only to push him away.

"Don't you dare tell Kyle shit that he already knows," I say, "He didn't sign up for this, and I've put him through hell for as long as I've known him. He knows exactly what's wrong with me and he knows it can't be fixed. He also knows how angry I am, because we feel the same thing. Five years! Does that amount of time mean nothing to you? I've grown up and I'm not that little twelve year old girl anymore!" My voice stays steady the whole time, the opposite of how I feel. I feel unsteady, uneven, unstable.

They've crossed the line.

"Gemma. We're your parents, it's our job to worry."

"If you were so worried these past five years then why didn't you come back? Why didn't you tell us you weren't dead? The truth is you left us all alone that night, to drown in our own broken lives, and because you weren't there to fix it we had to adapt. It's not our fault that you can't handle the consequences of what you did."

My dad sighs in front of me, "We can't take back what we've done, Gemma, and we also can't prove to you that our intentions were to protect you. But we can show you that we're here now, we're sorry, and we want to make it up to you. We want you to come back home with us." I wait a second, almost waiting for him to laugh and say he's joking.

Home isn't with these strangers, home isn't where they're suggesting. Our definitions of home couldn't be further from each other, having been completely morphed in the last five years. 

"No. I am home, and if you can't respect my decisions to be with my mate, then you should leave. You're pretty good at doing that."

**

My parents were forced to leave after a nurse came in and told us my heartrate was too high and I needed to rest. They left without another word, though I could feel the heated stares shared between them and Kyle. I still have a sinking gut feeling that I'm on the outside of something, but I don't have the energy to figure it out right now. 

"If you don't calm down I might have to get a nurse to sedate you." Kyle threatens as he sits beside me on the bed, careful not to bump into any of my wounds.

"I just don't understand where they're coming from. Or in what word they think I would go back with them and leave here."

"Maybe they-"

"If you try to defend them," I cut in, "Then I'm going to punch you in the face."

Kyle laughs, weaving an arm around my shoulder and gently pulling me closer to his side. "I was going to say," He starts, his thumb gently rubbing across my shoulder, "That they think they know what's best for you and really believe they were doing the right thing. But since that's basically defending them, I'm not going to say it."

"Wait, what? But you just said-" I ask, confused by his words.

"Said what?" He asks, his voice light and airy, smiling.

"What?"

"What?"

"What?"

"What?"

"What?"

"What?"

"Stop that!" I laugh, gently elbowing him in the ribs.

"Ow!" He groans, but I can tell it's completely fake by his laugh.

"When can I go home?" I ask quietly, relaxing more into Kyle's chest. I'm more than aware of the fact that I called it home. My new home. My new definition of home.

"I spoke to the Pack doctor earlier, and he said that if everything is looking okay then you can leave in a few days. But you're going to have to take it real easy when we get back home."

I nod. I'm more than happy to take it easy for a few days.

"You know, we never talked about you making Jacob angry on purpose."

Aw, damn. I was really hoping he would forget about that.

I sigh. I know I'm not getting out of this one. "I needed to speak to you. I needed you to know where I was and that I was - remotely- okay. So, I might've kicked him in the knee and said a few things to make him angry." I laugh nervously at the end, and his hold tightens around me protectively.

"That's probably the most dangerous and stupid thing anyone could do." He starts, trailing a hand over the scar on my face. "But, it was also really smart." A surge of anger rushes through me that isn't my own and I sigh.

"I know you're angry, Kyle. And I get why. But I realised that he hadn't seen my mark the whole time I had known him and I remembered you telling me how the it worked and I just... Did something I thought would help." I mutter.

"I'm not mad at you, Angel. I love you, and if you hadn't have done the stupidest thing of the century, then I might not have you today."

"I love you too."

"Next time, though, try to come up with a solution that won't get you hurt, and won't make me so angry that I want to kill someone." He says, his hand moving down to my stomach, where the stab wound is. He rests his hand there gently, as though trying to protect the wound from getting anymore hurt than it is.

I laugh, but then realise what he said. "There's going to be a next time?!" I screech

But he just laughs and kisses me on the temple.