five

I don't want another pretty face. I don't want just anyone to hold. I don't want my love to go to waste. I want you and your beautiful soul ≈ Beautiful Soul, Jesse McCartney

••

There are a few things I can't explain about being blind, including how sometimes I just know who walked through the door or who is standing beside me. Stacy can walk up to me at school and my body, my soul just instantly knows that it's her. I don't know whether it's my sense of smell assisting me in recognising people, or maybe I have memorised how a person sounds when they walk, or how they feel when they stand next to me. I'm not sure.

But when someone walks through the kitchen doorway as I'm eating my banana, I know that it's Kyle before he even says a word. 

"Hey Kyle."

"Hey to you too. How did you know it was me?" His voice instantly soothes something inside of me, relaxing my body that I didn't even realise I was tensing. 

A small shrug emerges from my shoulder. "I dunno, I just did. What time is it?" He tells me that it's nine fifteen as he takes a seat beside me. "You're not going to school today?"

"Are you?" His response halts me slightly, surprising me.

"Well, no, but that doesn't mean you can't go. I can be left alone, contrary to what my family might tell you." Am I being too harsh to him?

He laughs at my words, telling me that he isn't taking offense to my slightly rude words. "They actually told me to leave you alone before you feel smothered. I came here to say hey, and if you want me to leave I will. The choice is yours, I'm not going to force you to put up with my company." I can hear the grin in his words.

I wonder what his smile looks like. Is it cheeky? Breathtaking? Ohmygosh does he have dimples?

I don't even have to ask myself if I want him to leave because I already know the answer is no. 

"I guess you can stay, if you have to." I give him a small smile, in which he responds with a small kiss on my forehead.

"Thank you so much," There's still a grin in his voice. "Are you the only one home?"

"Aren't you supposed to be a Werewolf, wouldn't you hear if other people were home or something?" Dammit, I'm being rude again.

He gives me another laugh, "Wow you're onto me. I know you're the only one home, I just didn't want to come off creepy by letting you know I know."

"Drew's probably at work, the rest are at school. Stacy has been staying here, which you probably already know through Noah, because I'm not talking to my family right now."

"Noah did tell me that." He's silent for a few seconds, "How are you?"

"Confused, hurt, angry. I don't really know. I get keeping the Werewolf thing from me, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't get lying to me about Aaron and Leah, and keeping me away from them for the last two years. It doesn't make sense to me, it doesn't make sense that they would leave and it doesn't make sense that Drew wouldn't look for them or find them or-" I take a deep breath, realising I'm rambling. "Nothing makes sense right now."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Yeah, actually, can you please explain the whole Werewolf thing again."

••

"So you have an actual animal living inside of you?"

"Well, technically, but not physically. It's their soul, our soul but in the animal form. He's not an actual animal until we've shifted into our Wolf. He's me, and I'm him. He's more animal and primal, all instinct and Alpha like. I'm human, he's a wolf, but he's me. I am so bad at explaining this."