fourteen

Nobody's Perfect! I gotta work it! Again and again 'til I get it right, Nobody's Perfect! You live and you learn it! ≈ Nobody's Perfect, Hannah Montana

"Michael!" A girl's voice calls out. 

"Sabrina, it's so good to see you again. I didn't think you were coming back for a few more days." Michael exclaims. He's standing next to me and I'm suddenly conscious of where I'm looking and where this girl is standing and who she is. 

"I know, there was a change of plans. Who's this?" Sabrina's voice sounds surprised.

"This is Gemma." Michael introduces.

"Well, your friend is kind of being rude." She sneers back.

I scoff. "Hi, I'm Gemma and I'm blind." I say bluntly.

There's silence after my sentence, no one knowing what to say. I won't lie, a small part of me revels in the awkwardness when someone finds out the truth after assuming I'm just being rude.

Michael grabs my wrist just as I go to walk away. "Gem?"

"I'm fine."

"Gemma I am so sorry!" Sabrina says and I just nod my head.

"Don't worry. It's nothing new. You're not the first person and you certainly won't be the last." I mutter.

Michael lets out a small growl at my words.

"Michael what's got your underwear in a bunch?" Sabrina scowls.

"I'm her Protector." Michael growls out.

It's silent, as I'm assuming Sabrina's mind is turning with this new discovery.

"Sh-She's the Luna?" Sabrina stutters.

"Yes."

Before anyone can say anything else, Noah comes in saying, "Gem, Kyles on the phone."

I take the phone from him.

"Kyle?" I ask into the phone, my eyes closed.

"Gemma." He breathes out. "How are you?" He asked worriedly.

"I'm good." Is all I say and I mentally curse myself right away. He knows.

"Gemma?" He asks suspiciously.

"Kyle, it's fine. I'm alright."

"Gemma. Stop it and just tell me."

"We'll leave you alone for a bit." Michael says and I hear people shuffle out of the room.

I sit down on the couch as I keep my breathing in control. "What's wrong?" Kyle's voice is calm.

"Nothing, I am fine. I just miss you." Maybe the change of subject will make him forget.

"I know, Angel. I should be home in another two days." Kyle assures me.

I guess 'a few days' has turned into nearly a week. He's already been gone for four days. 

"What are you doing, anyways?" I ask, curiousity getting the better of me.

"Not much. Just sorting out a few things with an Alpha. It's taking longer than I thought it would." His voice is worn out and tired, and guilt immediately gnaws at me. He's working, I shouldn't be so hard on him. "So are you going to tell me what's wrong?" He asks.

I rub my hand down my face. "I haven't been sleeping well. I'm just tired."

"I know, Gem. Me too. But I'll be home soon, and we can have a few more days off school before we go back, okay?"

I smile. "Sounds like a plan."

Then he asks the question I really wanted to avoid, "Have you spoken to your family?"

I sigh. "This really isn't what I want to talk about right now."

"I don't think Drew's going to let it go anytime soon, he's going to want to talk to you. He's still your family, despite everything he's done." 

"I'll speak to him when I'm ready. I'm not ready just yet."

"That's okay. Just let me know when you are ready and we can sort something out, okay?"

"I miss you." I whisper. My chest constricts with pain.

"I know, I miss you too, but I will be back soon. I promise." I don't know what to say, so I stay quiet. "I have to go. I love you."

"I love you too, Kyle." I vow my feelings.

"I'll see you soon."

The call ends before I can reply, which I'm thankful for. I wouldn't said "see you soon" in return, which would have been the icing on the cake. I won't see him soon. He will see me soon and I'll be be able to speak to him and hug him and kiss him soon. But never will I be able to see him soon.

**

Later that day Mikey and I are sitting outside, on one of those porch swings. It only swings slightly, enough that I don't feel like I've completely lost my sense of direction. We sit in silence, not having much to talk about. 

My mood has been down ever since the phone call with Kyle ended, a million things running through my head. 

"Is Kyle keeping something from me?" I ask Mikey quietly, breaking the comfortable silence between us. 

"Why would you think that?" He answers.

"You didn't answer my question."

"He isn't keeping anything from you. What's making you think that?" 

"I don't know, it all just feels weird. He left suddenly and I've heard a few people saying how strange it was of him to leave with no notice to anyone." I say, finally voicing the concerns I've had for the last few days.

It's been running over and over in my mind for days, thinking over possible scenarios. Is there someone else? Is he visiting them? Is he keeping some big secret from me like my family did? Lying to me like everyone else seems to. 

"I think it was just a poorly planned visit, he didn't know the other Alpha was going to want to see him so suddenly. I'm sure he didn't mean to make you feel like that." I nod, accepting Mikey's explanation for Kyle's actions. "C'mon, let's go get some dinner."

"That's okay, I'm not really hungry. I think I might just go upstairs by myself for a bit. Can you please walk me there?" I say, the thought of eating something making me feel sick.

"Gem.."

"It's fine, I think I just ate too much earlier. I want to go upstairs."

Mikey ends up walking me upstairs, leaving me when I say I want to be alone. I lie there by myself all night, fending off all the people that come to check on me. I'm not hungry, I can't sleep, all I can do is think and worry. 

"This isn't healthy." I hear Stacy whisper from the door when they think I'm asleep.

"It's the mate bond, he's been gone too long." Noah responds quietly. 

Stacy lets out a small scoff. "With all due respect to Kyle, he needs to get his ass back here."

They leave not long after that, leaving me alone with the darkness and my thoughts.