seventeen

As long as you love me, We could be starving, we could be homeless, we could be broke. As long as you love me, I'll be your platinum, I'll be your silver, I'll be your gold ≈ As Long As You Love Me, Justin Bieber

"What's for breakfast?" I ask as I walk into the kitchen where I heard voices just moments before.

"Toast." Ryan says.

I scrunch my face up. "I was thinking more along the lines of-"

"We are all out of chocolate cake." Drew laughs and I grin.

"I was going to say pancakes."

"I guess we can do that." Jaz says, a giggle escaping her mouth

I just laugh as Stacy tells me about what has been happening at school, and how Noah walked into a glass door yesterday, because she threatened to reject him over a chocolate bar.

We all know there are big, loud elephants in the room but for just this morning, we ignore them and pretend they don't exist. I know that I'm ready to talk to my family about how they've treated me, but for now I just want to pretend everything is normal and forget about Werewolves and the secrets that kept me in the dark for many years.

**

"Drew, I think we need to talk." I say as the front door closes. Everyone just left for school. Now it's just me and my big brother.

"I know." The couch dips beside me. "Gemma I am so sorry. I know I shouldn't have told Aaron and Leah to leave and I'm not going to make any excuses. It was wrong, and as soon as I saw how you reacted to them leaving I knew that."

"I'm not mad anymore. I-I just don't want my life to be run by lies just because the truth is too hard. Or because someone thinks the truth is too hard. I'm a big girl, I can handle some turbulence. I'm not damaged goods."

"You're right, and I just needed someone to remind me that you don't always need protecting. But that doesn't mean we aren't going to try to protect you anyway."

I lean into Drew's shoulder. My eyes closed, my eyesight, for now, perfect. Ignorance is bliss, I remind myself that every time I use closing my eyes to pretend I'm not blind.

"I can deal with always wanting to be protected. As long as it isn't by keeping lies."

The lies kept my life together. Now the truth is tearing it apart.

**

"Can we go for a walk?" I ask as Kyle sits down on my bed next to me.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. Let's go."

We leave my house, walking side by side, hand in hand. I'm starting to feel the mate bond more. My body instinctively puts me closer to him, reaching for him before I'm even aware he's there.

"I'm not mad, not anymore. I just, I need you to hear me out." I don't have the energy to be mad at everyone, not anymore. I've spent all last night being mad at Kyle, even after he left to go sleep in another room. Even as I couldn't sleep, wondering  if he was laying awake as well. I was so mad, unable to understand how he could lie to me.

Now, it just seems so unimportant to be mad at him. I think I need to make him understand instead, give him some answers to he isn't questioning everything. 

Kyle tugs on my hand and helps me sit down against a tree. "We're at a park. There isn't many people around so we have some privacy."

"My whole life, I've been fed lies. My parents never told me they were Werewolves, Drew told my fellow triplets- the people I basically depended on- to leave, and now you're starting to lie to me too. I don't need you to lie to me Kyle, I just need you to be honest with me and talk  to me."