twenty six

Chapter 6 in Ryan's POV

Drew walks through the front door and slams his keys on the counter. He runs his hand through his short brown hair and leans against the wall, his fists clenched.

"We have to do something. She can't keep going on like this." He sighs.

"We can't do anything, Drew. It's been five years." I mutter back. 

"And she's still going to see a councillor. She still cries herself to sleep. We have to do something to help her!" He exclaims.

"There's nothing to do! Drew, she will figure it out. Just leave her be for a bit. She just found out that he whole family are Werewolves." 

Drew just sighs and nods his head.

"Right." Then he looks at me with a mock frown. "When did you get so smart, Ryan?"

"Oh, I don't know. Sometime recently." I just shrug and grin at my older brother. "Where's Jaz?"

"She went with Brody to see Leah and Aaron. They left a couple of hours ago."

"God, don't tell Gem." I mutter, shaking my head. Our family has more problems than the titanic did the night it sank.

"Your telling me. I've got to go do some shopping and then just hang around before I pick up Gemma. I'll see you later." 

I nod and watch as he walks back out the front door. He must've just come home to check on me. It's been four days since Brooke - Kyle's sister- strangled Gemma at school. She still hasn't gone back, no one has let her. The bruises on her neck are just a constant reminder of how fragile she is. How she can't protect herself against threats. 

I sigh and decide that I need to go for a run. I need to let off some steam

••

I walk through the front door, Gemma's scent the first thing I smell.

"What's up, Gem?" I ask as I sit down on the couch next to her. I sling my arm around her shoulder, cautious of the purple bruises present on her neck.

"I'm bored." She whines, pouting slightly.

"How was the councillor?"

She just kind of shrugs. "It was fine."

I can feel my annoyance building. No matter what I told Drew, I wish I could help. I'll do anything to be able to help her. Even if it means pushing her to tell me stuff.

"You're not going to tell me, are you?"

"Ryan, it's a councillor. I don't care if you're all Werewolves, there's a reason why I talk to her instead of you guys." She sighs.

I decide to try pushing her a bit more. I know I will regret this later on, but I need her to open up. "So what's the reason?"

Gemma closes her eyes at my question. She looks like she's thinking really hard, like she is trying to come up with an answer that she can say out loud. I don't want her to think, I just want her to talk.

"It feels safer to talk to a person I don't know that well." Is what she finally says.

I stare at my sister in shock. Is that really what she thinks?

"So you'd rather tell a stranger how you're feeling than tell your own family?" I know I sound mad. God, I am mad. Do you what it's like to slowly watch your sister dig her grave? Because that's basically what I've been doing for the last five years. She's depressed, she's blind, she has lost more than anyone. once I heard her say she wished she had died. She wishes she was dead.