Chapter 7

Hecate Hardbroom was not happy. Although that was an understatement. When word of Miss Evergreens arrival came it put her in a foul mood. Staying locked away in her potions lab were she knew she could hide. Any thoughts of the younger witch made her angry. She still had the letter from months ago, locked away because she didn't have the courage to get rid of it. The parchment was a reminder, a reminder that no one could love a person like her.

Currently she was in the middle of brewing a healing potion when Miss Cackle entered the room "you know you can't ignore her."

I didn't reply "one day you're going to need to confront her. Find out the truth" I sighed.

"I already know the truth" I told her.

"You think you know what happened but it may not be" she said.

I looked up at her "right now talking to her isn't something I want to do, or have thought about" I said.

"Oh Hecate when will you learn to stop being so stubborn" she said and I sighed. This is not what I wanted right now.

"It's almost supper I hope you'll be there" she said then left closing the door gently behind her.

Sitting down at my desk I rubbed my temples with my left hand. These next few days are going to be difficult and students are set to arrive not long after. Everything will be out of order.

As daylight slowly turned to dark I was still in the lab marking students work. Their exams will be taking place in the coming months and so far the third years are a bit worrisome when it comes to their marks. She would have to be more strict during lessons.

The sound of Miss Drills could be heard coming closer to her door before the slight knock came. With a slight huff I told her to come in and watched as she struggled through the door "Miss Cackle asked me to bring these to you to review before tomorrow's breakfast" I nod and watched as she put them down on the desk.

"Thank you" I said as she turned ready to walk off.

"Wait" I called out.

Miss Drill faced me "yes?" I stood from my desk and made my way to my personal potions cupboard that the students were not allowed to touch.

"I've been brewing something to keep myself busy" I began "it's a potion to help relieve the pain from magical injuries. All have failed but this ones seems to have had some effects" I handed it to her "I thought you might like to try it" I paused "to see if any change happens."

Miss Drill was slightly shocked at her colleague. It had been months since the other woman had been like this. So what had changed ? "Of course, thank you. I'll keep you up to date if there's any effects that's taken place" she said holding the small vial tightly in her hand.

She would like to say that now the pain isn't as bad as it used to be. That she was used to it but in truth it was only worsening, tethering apart as the days go by.

Tiding up the potions lab I left for my chambers. The black cat already sound asleep on the bed. Letting down my hair from its braided bun released some of the tension I was feeling. Undressing into my night clothes I cast a quick warming charm to help the chill that seemed to seep through the cracks of the old castle.

As I laid in bed with a book it was hard to concentrate on the words produced on the worn out pages. Placing it on the side table beside my bed I turned out the candle that would soon need changing and tried to get comfortable. The little black ball curled around me minutes after I got comfortable.

Waking up before light was something that had begun many weeks ago. It was a bad feeling every morning with a chill down the spine but for what I did not know. At the start i believed it to be stress, over working myself but as I fixed my schedule and not taking in as much work as I wanted it never went away. The second thought was that i must be coming down with something but casting every diagnostic spell i know showed nothing, no results.

Some mornings were worse than others. The feeling of dread and intense pain surfaced around my body that only numbed throughout the day. Today was one of those days. My chest was tight which made it difficult to breath. Both arms felt heavy as I tried to use them. All I could do was lay there until the spell wore down a little.

Answers.

All I want is answers.

What?

What is happening?

Why?

Untangling my hair from its braid I picked up the comb, a gift from Freya that I didn't want to get rid of, and started going through the dark tendrils.

"You really need to stop doing that" the young witch commented one night before bed "do what? Hecate questioned "using magic for the simplest things" Hecate tilted her head slightly "okay, magic can fix everything but you shouldn't use your magical energy on such a task."

"And what would you have me do?" Hecate questioned looking over at her witch and saw a grin form on her lips. Freya opened the drawer on her bedside and pulled something out before coming towards her "I was out with Fluer the other day and thought of you when I saw it" she handed over the content in her hand. A wooden comb was found with delicate carvings on the handle.

Hecate looked up at the woman "believe it or not when I was little I had wild curls that were uncontrollable so I know a thing or to." It was hard to believe but she did "now you just sit there" and she did, waiting to see what Freya would so next.

Freya's small hands reach over and unpinned the hair at the top of her head and let it fall down her back. Her fingers ran through her hair gentle that allowed Hecate to relax "see, its moments like this that allow you to have by yourself" Hecate chuckled.

"Yes your right."

I huffed and finished what I was doing before transporting to the dining hall where Miss Cackle and Miss Drill were already sat.

"Ah good morning Hecate glad you could join us" the headmistress said as I sat down "guests should be arriving in the next hour so I hope you're well prepared."

"Yes, if there is any problem found I will fix it myself" I said.

"I'm sure you will."

The rest of breakfast was in silence apart from the chatter between the other two women.

...

As the wedding time approached I was more on edge as I knew sooner or later I would have to come face to face with a certain witch.

After the letter I received it was the last time I heard from her. I never wrote back and I have since then haven't planned to. It was better this way. No more heartbreak than what I already felt.

Transfiguring to the lab I took a potion to help with the headache that was coming on and began to pace the room.

Thinking.

Should I say anything when I see her.

Is it going to be awkward?

I groaned, maybe I'm overthinking everything. There's nothing to worry about. These feeling should be well gone by now.