Chapter 1

Pain. It was all I felt when my eyes opened in the sun lit room. The brightness overwhelming and I cursed under my breath as I tried to moved but the pain on my stomach refused to go away. When my feet finally hit the wooden floor I stood to leave for the bathroom but stumbled over something on the way. Looking down I saw the dark blue jean's with the belt still attached to it and sighed. Picking them up I placed them over the chair at the desk as I passed it. I should have guessed they stayed for the night. Running across the hall to the bathroom I closed the door and locked it. Throwing warm water on my face and drying myself off I began looking for my brush to fix the tangled mess on top of my head, but left it when one wasn't in sight. Brushed my teeth and cleaned out the sink before going back to my bedroom. Classes started early this morning so I was one of the first people up in the flat we shared. Although Marcus was never really here and stayed out must nights. Looking around for something to wear I jump "what are you doing?" the raspy voice came "I have classes remember" I answered putting my hair up in a ponytail "oh" was the only reply I got.

As I ate my breakfast in silence my eyes caught the sight of Edmund walking into the kitchen with only a pair of pyjama bottoms and messy hair "hey" I greeted as he sat down at the table "good morning" his voice was low which indicates he still wasn't fully awake "what time do you start?" he asked "eight thirty. There's still another half hour before I leave" I told him taking another spoonful of my cereal "don't forget this" he placed the brown bottle in front of me and made a glass of water. He watched and I knew what he meant. Grabbing the bottle I opened it and placed one of the pills in my hand before swallowing it. Showing him I'd took it I put the bottle in my bag "good girl" he said taking the bowl I used then placed it in the sink "I'll pick you up when you're finished and we can go out for something to eat" he said. I nod and watched him leave.

For the last three weeks I have asked myself the same question when I enter this class every Monday morning. Twice a week we're made to sit through this two hour lecture. At first I was excited when I heard about the class, it was something new and I was up to trying things out. But in all honesty the class itself was boring with the tutor and his monotone voice. It could put me to sleep the way he went on and on about whatever it was he was teaching that day. It made me regret the decision especially when things settled and I began to wonder how this would help me in the future. Tapping the pen in my hand against the table I kept glancing at the time waiting for the class to be over. I blame it on Edmund. If he hadn't brought it up in the first place and somehow agreed with me doing the class, saying that it'll be the best for me then I wouldn't be cursing myself every day. A big fat lie on his case though. At half eleven I'd given up on listening and started doodling on the parchment in front of me. Only thirty minutes to go. The thought of food made me excited.

When I walked through the entrance doors of the building to go outside I looked around for the familiar face. Edmund was leaned against a wall on his phone doing who knows what. Making my way towards him he looked up when he heard my footsteps. A lopsided grin formed on his lips "come on we haven't got all day" he threw an arm around me and guided us to wherever it was he wanted to take me. He's been doing this a lot recently. Taking me to fancy places for dinner or having strolls in the park when the weather was nice. I enjoyed it though, I wonder what's gotten into him to be like this. Whatever it was I hoped it stayed like that.

We arrived at a small restaurant that was decorated with red walls and gold details complementing the rest of the room. I decided to go with something light and simple for lunch. The waiter took our orders and served us our drinks within minutes "hows your classes been?" I asked trying to start some sort of conversation "they've been alright I guess. I'm considering changing one of my subjects but hey it's only a few weeks into the year so who knows things might change" he explain with the glass in his hand. He looked relaxed sitting in his chair with an arm resting on the back of it "yes I'm sure it'll get better" I said "how are you getting on. I remember you mentioning you thought college wasn't the right thing for you" of course he had to bring that up "it's been easier this year but theres still those little thoughts at the back of my head you know. The ones that ask why" I told him "why what?" I shrug "why am I even here. What good is college going to do for me" for a while I thought college would be the best thing for me but over time all I wanted to do was travel. Go to different countries and learn about different cultures and how witches and wizards from those countries use magic. Is it the same as us? Or do they have different ways to channel it? It excites me. But I know Edmund would never agree to it.

Bringing the slightest idea about it would have it thrown back in my face. Edmund liked control and fighting back led to consequences. I've had to learn that the hard way. Although something that's really bothered me is, how we started dating. I mean sure after the accident I can't really remember much but when I woke up in that hospital bed there was just something off about everything. Reaching for the necklace that I always wore I traced a finger over it. Louisa and Elena said it shocked them when they found out about the two of us. Then Fluer said something that really bothered me before school started "are you listening?" I jumped at the sound of Edmunds voice "sorry don't know where I was there. Must be tired" I tried to explain. He seemed to have bought it however "then go straight to bed when we get home. Have an early night but right now you should eat" he told me. I nod and picked up the fork and nibbled at the food.

As the days passed the weekend finally arrived and I couldn't be happier. Waking up in the afternoon aloud me to catch up on the hours I've missed during the week. College is tiresome. As I plopped myself onto the sofa beside Elena she laughed at the state I was in "someone had fun last night" I rolled my eyes "yeah well I wasn't getting to bed until after four, how is that fun?" Elena shook her head but the smile was still there "by the way there's a letter for you" I scrunched my brows together. I never got post. After Elena told me where she put it I went searching for it. Holding the envelope in my hands curiosity filled me as I stared down at it. Opening the letter I read over it carefully. I lit up when I realised who it was from. Emily. It was a wedding invitation. The wedding will take place in January at Cackles Academy. Although I thought it was strange thinking about it. Who would have thought about getting married at your old high school. I couldn't wait. This was something I could use to help me find out about what happened before I lost my memories. Cackles Academy is one place that's a bit foggy. And the opportunity to find out why has came. But there is no way that I was telling Edmund about it. He would insist on coming with me and I wasn't letting that happen.