Chapter 8

The day of the wedding was finally here. Daylight had come hours ago and Emily was still busy doing last minutes organisation after breakfast. However I wasn't that hungry and stayed in my room.

She wanted everything to be perfect without a single thing being out of place. With the ceremony taking place in less than an hour you wouldn't think the young woman was getting married. Her hair was still messing from the night's sleep and she wore a dressing gown over her night clothes. Fluffy slippers scuffed the floor as she walked ordering people about or using her magic to fix things herself. Is this what they mean about being a bridezella? I was happy for her and could wait to see her marry for love.

As for I, it was a different story.

Waking up it was one of those mornings. Before even opening my eyes I knew what kind of day it was.

Depression.

It was bipolar in disguise.

There are days were you can be completely happy, no reason to be sad but like a flick of a switch you just feel lonely despite the people around you. Today was one of those days. Masking everything with a smile for my best friend.

Worthless.

That's what I was feeling.

A disappointment.

"Freya?" I blinked a few time then looked up to see Emily watching me with a questioning face. "Yes?" Emily shook her head then turned to the dress that was still in its bag "nothing, just wanted to see if you were going to get ready. There's not long now."

I gave myself a little shake I stood from the chair I was sitting on "of course, give me a sec okay." I told her as collected my thoughts.

...

The wedding was beautiful. Emily cried before she even made it to the end of the isle. Her ivory dressed fitted her perfectly and the colour complemented her well. A small train followed behind her. I gave her a small kiss on the check and gave her an encouraging smile before taking a seat in front row.

The pair exchanged their vows and were finally bonded by marriage. Cheers erupted throughout the hall and I tried my best to keep the smile on my face as I clapped with the rest of the guests. My smile faded when I felt the tell tail sensation. Quickly gathering myself I held my hand to my nose and left the room hoping no one saw me. The last thing I needed was someone following me.

When I made it to the bathroom I ran the tap and watched as the water fill up the sink and used it to wash my nose and mouth. The water turning a bright red. Conjuring a towel I wiped myself dry and waited for the bleeding to stop.

I waited for around three minutes before the bleeding came to an end. Before leaving the bathroom I tried to make myself look presentable again. Cover the last few minutes up. My hands grabbed the edges of the sink as I looked at myself in the mirror. Gathering myself and took a drink of water from the running tap. Drying of my hand i went to find the bride and groom to congratulate them.

They were still in the hall with the guests gathered around them when I walked in.

"Freya, were did you run of to?" Emily asked.

"Needed the restroom, women things." I said into her ear when I hug her. A laugh left her lips as we pulled away "Of course, is everything all sorted now?" I nod.

"Come on we're going to take photos now and you're going to be right at my side."

Emily hooked her free arm around mine and we walked out of the hall with a few others that must have been close family to her husband.

...

Day had turned to night and everyone was currently dancing to a slow song. I really wasn't in the mood, all I really wanted to do was get out of here. Sitting at the round table by myself I watched everyone smiling and laughing amongst themselves in groups. I sighed and finished the drink in my hand.

Getting up I grabbed another bottle of the alcohol, two steps I stopped again to picked up a second bottle and left the hall to find someplace to myself. It would have been easier to go to my own room but that didn't give me much privacy. The girls would look there first. After a long thought I found myself walking towards the potions lab.

Oh if she ever got caught. Despite being an adult and graduated from Cackles, Hecate Hardbroom still scared her.

Entering the potions lab I embraced the cool air it gave off. Sitting down in one of the rows she took in the silence. It was peaceful in here. Pouring myself a drink I gulped down the contents then poured another. After the forth cup I laid my head on the table. The pins long gone from keeping my hair up for the wedding. Who knew what time it was by now, filling the goblet once more I took a smaller sip of the golden liquid before standing and waltzed over to the window.

The darkness consumed the grounds of Cackles Academy and the only light came from the illuminating moon that stood high above.

I grinned.

It looked so beautiful tonight.

...

"What is the meaning of this?" I jumped at the sound hitting my head slightly on the table.

Looking up I was face to face with the one person I hoped wouldn't find me but it was her classroom after all so what was I expecting.

"Miss Hardbroom." The woman's face twitched as she folded her arms.

"I asked you a question" sitting up properly I pulled my hair out of the way and filled the goblet. Holding it up to her.

"I wanted to be alone."

A yellowing glow filled the room as the other woman lit a few candles so she could see properly.

"There are other places you could go" the teacher rubbed her forehead.

"And yet my feet brought me here." I was sure my words where coming out as a slur as I was struggle to speaks.

"Is this game of your fun?" the question took me aback "you coming to this room, my lab. Sitting there drinking whilst all dressed up like that." What is she talking about.

"I'm only drinking because it helps block out the pain, helps me forget." A hand slapped over my mouth as I looked at her wide eyed, not believing that I said such a thing to her. Miss Hardbroom was the cleverest witch I knew. I envied that. You had to be careful around her, say too much and she can work it out.

We stayed there in silent for a few minutes. Both of us not knowing what to say. I had slightly sobered up from the mistake I made.

"I... I should go" I quickly got to standing but my leg gave out. Gripping the table I steadied myself and made myself walk to the front of the room to the door.

Pausing. I wasn't sure what it was, to much alcohol? But images flashed through my mind. A memory? I turned to Miss Hardbroom but she was still stood in her spot with her back to me.

The image of an empty classroom with only us to, a detention? No we were laughing. Miss Hardbroom sat at her desk as I leant against the table. A small cake in hand with a candle "Happy birthday, Hecate" Miss Hardbroom smiled up at her then blew out the candles.

"Miss Hardbroom?" the teacher whirled around but I didn't know what to say.

"It's nothing, forget it."

"No say what you have to. I want to hear it Freya" I tilted my head slightly. Something about the way she said my name made me feel funny. Like my body was familiar with it.

"Really its nothing, must be the alcohol getting to me. Having these weird thoughts pop in." I told her. The older woman was still and didn't show anything.

"Good night Miss Hardbroom" and she walked away to her room.

Hecate stood there and watched the young witch.

"Good night Freya." She hadn't realised she said it until the girl turned around and smiled as she left the room.