chapter 12

"What is that?' I jumped at the intrusion of silence. Looking up I was faced with Miss Hardbroom.

"I don't know what you mean." I said turning around to face her.

"I'm talking about your shoulder Miss Evergreen." I paled and realised the burn had been exposed. Quickly covering it up I tried to think if some sort of excuse. But my mind was blank.

"It was an accident. I fell over a wire." I told her. It's partially the truth. Right?

I wanted to escape. Needed to get out of here before anymore questions where asked.

"The truth Freya." There was a long pause. I was stunned at the sudden use of my name. Never before had the teacher said it. Miss Hardbroom stood regid and still. Perhaps shocked at herself. And before I knew it the teacher transfigured away.

Alcohol that's what I need. It's been to long and I needed my best friend. The burn always makes me feel good. There should still be a bottle hidden in my room somewhere.

I smiled when I found it. Opening and taking a big gulp of the content. This was a different kind of pain I wanted to drown out.

A failure that's what I am. A witch that can't even protect herself. Someone who's in love with a madman. Crazy enough not to leave him. Dropping out of college and not knowing what to do with myself is just the icing on the very big cake. 

I began to laugh at how petty I was being. It's my own fault for being in this mess.

There was a knock on the door that interrupted my thoughts. I wonder who could be here at this time of night. Staggering over I swung the door open to see Miss Hardbroom standing there. Looking very uncomfortable might I add.

"Well Met Miss Hardbroom." I said and grinned widely at her.

"Miss Everygreen I'm sure I told you to stop drinking." She said. I shrug my shoulder not really hearing her.

"But Miss Hardbroom it's fun." I told her. The look of disappointment crossed her face.

"Ah there's the face I remember." I said.

"What are you talking about?" Miss Hardbroom asked.

"Everytime you gave me detention or I got in trouble you always had this look." I said. "You never ask my side of the story. Actually you know what let's talk about Rowena. Yes that conversation for another time. It's that time."

"Miss Evergreen I'm not sure that's a good idea."

"I think it is the best idea of the day." I said. Moving back into the room and sat on my bed and watched her. The teacher sighed and sat at the desk to keep her distance.

"You want to talk them talk." She folder her arms and watched me. I put the bottle down and copied her actions.

Where is all this sudden anger coming from?

"You heard me that day in the corridor and everything I said was true. I have the scars to prove it."

"I know you do." I narrowed my eyes on her. Liar. No one has seen them apart from Edmund.

"Do you really think all those days I was late to class was simply because I slept in. Or I tripped over and hurt my leg?" I asked. I crossed a leg over the other and raised a brow.

"I do not know what to think anymore." She said.

"She had her friends hold me down when she did it. Then when she was finished allowed them to take turns. There's a reason I don't go near the second floor corridor at the back of the school and it's all because of her."

"Why did you not tell anyone?" She asked.

"Would you if you simply feared for your life. Tortured almost everyday you walked the school?"

"No I don't think I would."

"There was one time I think I almost died. Do you remember, that morning at breakfast I told you I had the flu. I was in bed all weekend not being able to move. It was the most terrified I had ever been.

Miss Hardbroom went slightly paler than she already was.

"I started to believe that everything she did I deserved it." I admitted.

"You do not, shouldn't have deserved such a thing. No one should have to go through such a thing. If only I was able to tell, see the signs. I failed as a teacher."

"You did not fail, you were simply blinded by the innocence a twisted girl portrayed."

"Rowena was always in the middle of everything I should have known something was up since you weren't friends." I smiled the only thing I could do.

"Miss Hardbroom, you're one of the best teachers that I've had the pleasure of meeting. Don't think otherwise." I told her.

Again images flashed. They've been coming a lot recently. Was it my presence at Cackles that's doing it.

This time it was Miss Hardbroom and I in her classroom alone. Detention maybe I wasn't sure. As sat there by her desk I was looking at her as she read something. My eyes continued to go over her features. Long lashed, deep brown eyes. It's always the eyes with Miss Hardbroom. No not Hardbroom but Hecate.

Hecate Hardbroom.

Reaching for the necklace I always wore I held it tightly as my heart raced once again. A feeling I loved but can not understand.

"What is that?" Miss Hardbroom asked. I smiled.

"My hope.  It gives me warmth when I feel unsure of things." I said. I can feel the love of the person who gave it to me and I wish I can remember who it was.

Miss Hardbroom didn't say anything as she stared at it. Now that I think about it you would think it looks a lot like the watch she wears all the time. The same shape but smaller and the details in a similar manner. A coincidence I must say.

"I believe you have calmed down?" It's just like her to change the subject.

"A lot yes. I think I finally needed to get it out. Admit what she has done. I promised I would tell you someday about it." I stopped and thought about the words I just said.

Did I promise her? I don't think so. I clearly remember the night in the library.

"Yes you did." Oh I must have been more tired than I thought.