Chapter 10

As the clock struck seven I left my room after changing into something more comfortable. It had got considerably colder as the days went by and I hadn't many things that would do for the occasion. Tying the robe I left my room and started towards the library. Why did she want to meet me? At such an odd time as well.

When I entered the room the fire had already been lit. The candlelight glowed with its orange flames lighting a small section of the room. The heat was welcomed straight away as I got closer. The seating area had been rearranged from the last time I was here. Two chairs facing inwards in front of the fire, a blankets draped around both of them.

Miss Hardbroom was already seated, her back straight like normal. She looked stressed, anxious if I could believe it. The sounds of my socked feet could be heard on the wooden floor. She looked up, a frown on her face. The teacher stood from her chair.

"I believe you are feeling better?" there was no emotion to the question.

"Something like that, a bit exhausted to be honest." I said. It was awkward I'd have to admit and it took a few moments before the both of us sat down.

Fidgeting with my fingers I looked anywhere but at her. It wasn't a hidden fact that this woman hates me, for what I don't know but the whole school knew. Students liked to joke about how bad of a witch I was and at times I found myself agreeing to what they where saying. Maybe that's the reason.

"Are you nervous?" I felt the blush creep on my face as I looked at her, she was eyeing my movement, I could tell.

"A little. It's just I do not know what it is you want to talk about."

A tray with two cups was sitting on the table, Miss Hardbroom picked one of them up and placed it closer to me. The other one left on the tray as she sat up straight again.

"I called you here to talk about yesterday." I swallowed, was this about the confrontation with Rowena? My hands balled into a fist. I felt like I was back in school about to get scolded by the teacher.

"About Rowena?" I asked. Something flickered in the woman's face before she shook her head.

"No that's a conversation for another time." I took a breath through my nose as I waited for her to continue. "Last night after you fainted I did a diagnostic spell on you but everything was clear. Tell me Freya why is that?"

I bit my lip, looking everywhere but at her. Of all people to talk to about my suspicions it was Miss Hardbroom.

"It's only the second time I fainted" I told her. Lifting up the mug I took a sip to help calm the nerves. The hot cocoa tasted so good "it started a while ago, the nosebleeds. I don't know why or what the cause was but as time went by it started getting worse."

"Worse how? "I looked down and watched the contents in my mug swirl.

"I would find myself throwing up or to weak to hold myself. I haven't told anyone." I said.

"Why not, something as serious as this you should be seeking help." I gave her a small smile placed the cup on the table and sat up straight.

"As I said before I have my suspicions and so no one can be trusted." I said.

"How have you come by this conclusion?" should I stop now. How much information should I be telling.

"Some things are still unclear but every time it's always the same thing." From my nightgown pocket I lifted the all too familiar vial and passed it to Miss Hardbroom. Gently she reached and examined the bottle.

I sigh "all I've been told about it is that it's to improve my health." I'm still not sure how much information I should be giving her but for now let it be about this.

"As far as I'm aware you don't have any medical issues." I tilted my head. Was that something all teachers were supposed to know about their students.

As I watched her a frown formed on her lips "is there anything else?" she asked.

"No like I said there are some areas that are unclear and there's not a lot of information to go by. There's this feeling at the back of my mind that the answer is right in front of me."

"Despite the things that have happened I will help you with the potion. For now stop taking it and lets see what happens."

I could feel the thumping in my chest from her words. An ache I couldn't understand formed and I put a hand over my chest and tried to calm it down.

Why did her words hurt, she was offering help. She wants to help me, but it was the way she said it. Soft and gentle but there was something else, something like hatred, heartbreak.

Why?

What's the meaning of this? Maybe I'm thinking to much into it.

The damn Mists of Time.

"Thank you I appreciate it very much." I told her.

There was no emotion on her again apart from that familiar expression I had seen every time I was in class.

Drinking the rest of the hot cocoa I watched the flames of the fire. I loved the heat as it reached my poor toes that where half frozen. However my gaze started wondering over to the teacher.

"Miss Hardbroom." I said without thinking.

"Yes Miss Evergreen?"

"Have we done this before?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"It's nothing forget I asked." I looked away from embarrassment.

"No, please tell me why you ask such a thing." I knew that was coming.

"Have you ever been in love before Miss Hardbroom?" the content in her cup spilled over as her hands began to shake.

"Why do you ask such a question?" her voice was pained.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked that." The dream of the library was very between the lines. It happened a few nights ago and I was confused when I woke up. The woman's face was vague but the other details reminded me of Miss Hardbroom and the question lingered on my lips every time I saw her after I woke.

"The night is late I'm going to bed." I said wanting to leave. As I got up I stopped at the library door and looked back to the teacher.

"Miss Hardbroom." She turned "I know you hate me but I'm hoping we can be friends. We are going to be stuck together." I said.

It took Miss Hardbroom a few seconds to compose herself "Of course Miss Evergreen."