Chapter 13

"What are you doing?" Miss Hardbroom asked as I found myself in the potions lab.

"Hiding this, it's the key to our cottage." I said.

"But we don't need a key. Magic does it for us." I laugh and shake my head.

"How many times have I told you. We can't always rely on magic. What happens if one day it stops working?" I said.

"That will never happen." I raised a brow.

"Magical burn out is still a thing and there's been many occasions I thought it would happen to you, and besides I've heard all the stories of the going ons at Cackles from Mildred." I said.

"Nothing gets past you does it?" Miss Hardbroom wrapped her arm around my waist and pulled me against her.

"No it doesn't." I grinned up at her and kissed her playfully.

"Now about that key." Miss Hardbroom took it from my hand "if anything happens to either of us we can find it here. No one else will be able to find it." She said. Conjuring a box she placed the key inside it and hid it behind her bookshelf.

"As you know students aren't allowed up here so theres nothing to worry about." She said.

"I know you tell us at the start of every year." I said.

"Getting smart are we?"

"No just stating facts." I said grinning.

"Come now we should be getting ready for your sisters wedding. She wont wait for you all day." She said.

"I'm sure she wouldn't mind if we're a little late." I said. She knew what I was suggesting and smiled.

"What am I going to do with you witch?" It was a rhetorical question but I answered anyway.

"Anything you want." I replied.

Waking with a start and tried to catch my breath. The slight sheen of sweat made my night clothes stick to me. It was a horrible feeling and so I found myself heading towards the showers.

The dream felt so real. Something I wished was true. It made me feel warm inside, true love. Real love.

Oh Merlin, but she was my teacher for many years. I can't think such a thing.

When the shower was warm I stripped out of my clothes and stepped it. The water relaxed me as it hit my back and I closed my eyes for just a few moments as it continued to do so.

Today was going to be peaceful. After the show everyone was exhausted and are probably still in bed.

The mists looked like they were beginning to clear. Although not a lot, they were not as thick as the days before. 

As I dried off and wrapped the towel around me I stepped out of the shower and stood in front of the mirror. I looked healthier. The bruises that littered my body had disappeared leaving only the burn. It's been a very long time since I've seen myself like this. Smiling was all I could do. There was one thing I was sure off right now and that is I am going to leave him. This is my life. No one can control it anymore.

Maybe I could take a potion to rid these feelings I have for him.

My mind soon turned back to the events of last night. Everything went well and Emily was over the moon about the outcome. 

The candle lights glittered against the dark in the assembly hall. Dark purple curtains were draped across the stage whilst everyone ran around getting ready for start time. Chairs were being filled by the wedding guests and teachers. I was nervous, very nervous. Was this going to go bad I'm not good at telling people what to do. 

Eight was closely approaching, supper had been served and cleared hours ago and a few times I thought it was going to come back up with the nauseous feeling I had. 

"Freya stop worrying" Emily said as she approached. 

"I can't help it." I told her. 

"I wouldn't have asked you to do this if I didn't think you'd be able to pull it off." She said. I bit my lower lip. 

"Of course I know that but everyone will be watching. What if they don't like it." Emily just smiled. 

"Take a deep breath and calm down." I did what she told me a few times before the nerves somewhat went away and before I knew it the show began.

Pulling my mind away from last night I got dressed in anything that was wearable casting a quick spell to help them be clean for the day.

A slight smile appeared on my lips as I saw Miss Hardbroom already sitting in the dinning room. Last night she sought me out after the show. At first I thought she was going to say some remark but it surprised me when she placed a hand on my shoulder and told me I did well. There was a familiar comfort from her words that I didn't try to push away. These weeks I feel like I've been able to open my eyes and see everything differently since the accident.

Sitting down by myself I looked around the room but stopped when I landed on a certain person. Rowena. She was sat there scowling at me with her arms folded. A chill ran down my spine at her gaze. I tried to turn away but as I saw her stand and make her way towards me I began to get nervous. Bloody hell what's going to happen now.

She stopped in front of me. standing there towering down at my sitting form. Every sense left me as I couldn't concentrate properly. The room went silent as a buzzing noise rang in my ear. It was just me, I could tell as everyone that was here were still chatting amongst themselves. Not knowing that something may go down any second.

"I'm not here to apologies" she said "but I suggest you read this, I think it'll help you out." She slipped a piece of folded parchment across the table. I didn't take it straight away, I don't trust her.

"I'll think about it." I told her. Rowena sat there for a few more seconds. You could tell there was something else she wanted to say but held it back. It wasn't long that she left, standing up and walking out of the dinning hall.

Still a bit dumb folded that something happened between us that didn't involved violence I too decided to leave to find the potions teacher. I put the piece of parchment away, deciding to look at it later.

Miss Hardbroom for once was not found in her potions lab. However as I was about to leave to search for her a familiar book on the the desk caught my attention. A book that once belonged to my mother. Taking slow steps towards the desk and with shaky hands I lifted the hardbound book and flipped to the first page and sure enough found my mothers written inscription there. 

How?

Why does Miss Hardbroom have this. A sharp pain shot through me making the book fall to the ground. I clutched at my head as the pain was unbearable. My sight was unclear which had me trip over. I managed to somewhat leaned on the desk before hitting the ground completely but the pain did not subside.

Eventually it did, for how long I did not know. What I did kno lw is that I needed air. I shouldn't really but I opened the first window I could and sat on the sill until I finally got my breath back. It was hard as I took deep breaths. Was this what a panic attack is?

With all the confusion I hadn't heard the person behind me but felt a set of hands push me. I was falling that was sure although now I have to figure out how to break the fall so I don't get badly hurt from the grassy ground below.