Chapter 19

The old flat stood in front of me as the rain beat down on us. The Black umbrella sheltered me as I looked up at the building. Even now I still don't know why I'm holding on to this place as it sits practically empty and unused. 

"Perhaps we can use it for when we want to come up to the city," Hecate said.

"Yeah maybe," I said.

"Let's get out of this rain then." Hecate then said and I followed her inside. After all these, I received a phone call about the flat, since mothers death the ownership of the flat hadn't been settled. The lease was due to end in the next year and as it was in the mother's name there were a few complications. 

It is now the decision whether to take out a new lease or move out completely. the decision was hard, I was happy in my little cottage was Hecate. 

The air was dusty from being away too long as we walked in. Curtains closed with a little light peaking through them. 

"Everything's still here" Hecate had said.

"Yes I've never got the chance to go through mums stuff and I was planning to leave all the furniture here if I ever did give it up," I said walking around the space. Sheets covered the furniture to stop dust from collecting on it but it didn't help the musty air. I moved to the window and opened it. 

"Any ideas what you're going to do now that you're here?" Hecate asked. I shrugged my shoulders still unsure.

"There's so much now that I think about it that tells us about her past. All these things and I never picked up on it." I said. I came here today to do something to keep my mind on the trial that was in the coming days. The distraction was well needed since I couldn't control my nerves. 

Hecate removed the sheet from the sofa revealing its red fabric and sat down. "It's not all that bad here," she said and I smiled.

"No, it isn't. This is the home of my childhood. The only home I ever knew until dad that is." I said thinking about the past. Everything went by so fast. This was my safe space away from Cackles, away from the students. 

"You don't talk about it," Hecate said. 

"Yeah, you're right. I'm not sure why really." I said.

"Do you want to?" Hecate asked.

"Maybe some other time," I said.

"Freya?" Hecate questions getting a bit concerned with the other woman.

"I'm okay Hecate, promise," I told her. 

With much thought, I decided to keep the place with the idea of redecorating so there was something to do. The offer for Cackles still stood but it was still far too early for anything like that. Dropping out of the college has been finalised and I no longer was part of the band and so there was all this time that I had and I didn't know what to do with it. 

The first step was to declutter, even though we got rid of a few things the first time all those years ago there was still plenty to go through. 

After some time everything was finally finished. I had found an old record player and was trying to see if it worked. The music eventually flowed from it and sang through the whole apartment, Hecate came from the kitchen.

"It's been a while since I've heard anything like that," she said. 

"I like it although I'm surprised it's never been played before, in fact, the record player is still a surprise, never knew we had one," I said. Hecate joined me in the living room and I found myself wrapping my arms around her as we began to dance along to the music.

Everything within that moment was peaceful and I never wanted it to break. I won't let anything destroy what we have again. 

"I love you Miss Hecate Hardbroom," I said.

"What's brought this on?" she asked curiously.

"I'm just very happy right now," I said. Hecate leaned down and kissed me.

X

The next day we found ourselves in town to buy paint and other things needed to decorate the flat. Somehow I had convinced Hecate to wear muggle clothes as to not draw too much attention in the non-magical town, and oh boy did she look fine in those tight jeans and cotton blouse. 

"Stop worrying, you'll fit right in," I said as Hecate fussed over the jeans. 

"I'm not used to it." she said "why am I wearing these again?" she asked.

"To blend in with the crowd." I said and Hecate sighed "Oh shush I spent years trying to wear the proper clothes at schools but it didn't feel right." I told her.

"Yes and if you're able to do that then I think I can handle a day in these clothes," she said.

"They're not that different, after all, I have a vast knowledge of your skirt collection." I teased. 

After entering the store I watched as Hecate walked in front of me down the aisles intrigued with everything she saw. "I've never had the luxury of decorating before. Even as a child the walls were untouched brick," she said.

"Well then now you have all these options to choose from," I said standing before her as we stopped in front of a selection of paint. 

"There are so many colours," Hecate said looking around the shelves.

"It can be daunting that's why they have these in most shops," I said finding the little leaflet that had swatches on it and showing it to her. when we decided on a theme and picked out everything needed we went and paid for it and left. Going onto a few other stores I stopped when I saw the bakery ahead.

"Hey let's go in here for lunch, it's the best place in town," I said excitedly pulling Hecate in that direction. The bell dinged when we entered. The smell of freshly baked pastries hit me and I sighed. It's been so long since I've been here. 

"I've never seen a bakery this big before," Hecate said as she saw the tables and chairs that littered the flooring.

"It's not just a bakery. You can buy hot food and sit in, a bit like a café." I said. We ordered a pot of tea and a selection of pastries to enjoy before finding somewhere to sit. 

"It's so peaceful today," Hecate said sitting back in the chair.

"I agree." I don't want anything to interrupt this moment. It is the first day in ages since I've felt like this. Happy. Content. But I know that this is just the calm before the storm.