Chapter 5

The coughing fits were becoming more intense and I had to excuse myself from any company that I had. Dad didn't think anything of my sudden rush out of the room every day. One thing was for sure I didn't want him to know. I didn't know myself what was going on. The fits resulted with blood coming from my mouth covering the inside of my hands and the stark white tissue kept in the bathroom. The small cat was the only thing that witnessed it. Snowshine won't leave my side, sensing something was wrong. Washing my hand I slid down and sat on the floor. Leaning against the wall "I know Snowshine but I don't want to worry everyone" the cat jumped onto my lap and laid down. Christmas was already over and the new year was upon us so there was only a few more days to figure out how I'm going to tell everyone I've decided to drop out.

Exiting the bathroom dad was walking up the stairs "I'm going into town with Donna. Will you be ok by yourself?" he asked "yea I think I'm just going to have an early night" I told him "is everything alright darling?" he looked down searching my face "of course you and Aunt Donna go have fun. Tell her I'm still waiting to meet this guy of hers" he laughed "no problem" he kissed the top of my forehead and left to get ready. I watched him walk down the corridor before going into my own room. Exhaustion was an understatement as I slumped onto the bed. The headache dimmed and I hoped it was gone by the time I fell asleep.

Emily's wedding was taken place on the fourteenth January and I was planning on moving out of the apartment before that. The papers had already been signed and I was waiting for it to be approved. Putting an arm over my eyes I closed them, the silence welcoming. Tomorrow Fluer would be here to visit us and I couldn't wait. She wanted to have some sort of New Year's party and asked me to help prepare for it. Everyone would be gathering at dads only because there was more space so people could move around comfortably. Grandma still hasn't warmed up to me and its already been a few years but I've learnt to deal with it. But grandad on the other hand is the fun one. Always cracking jokes and winding us up although never when grandma was around. It was surprising to see that side of him at first but I loved it. Turning on my side I groaned at my aching body, Snowshine cuddled up beside me. The ball of fluff she was took up little space. Stroking her a few times and kissing her on the forehead I finally slept the night away.

The next morning I woke up with Fluer jumping on my bed. Despite being a pregnant woman she had too much energy right now "good morning to you too" I groaned out. I didn't open my eyes straight away until my brain woke up properly "come on Freya there's things to do and not a lot of time" pushing the strands of hair that fell out of the way I slowly sat up and looked at the older twin "what time is it anyway?" I asked "nine thirty" she grinned and watched me "couldn't you have waited?" Fluer shook her head "nope now come on we haven't got all day" sighing I flung the blanket off me an put my feet on the ground "this better be worth it you know" the other woman just grinned "you won't know until you get out of bed and come downstairs" I looked around for something to change into "I'll meet you down there then. Let me get changed" I told her. She got up from the bed and lingered at the door for a few seconds before leaving.

Getting changed and leaving the room I meet Fluer in the kitchen "we have until seven, that when everyone will start arriving so we better get started" she told me. It was a good thing that we had magic because the house wasn't the smallest and a lot of cooking will be involved. Apparently Fluer invited not just family but also friends that were close to the family. There would be a few people from high school but she told me I would get along with them just fine.

In all honesty I'd rather be in bed than getting ready for this party. There would be too many people attending and I just didn't want to deal with a crowd of people tonight. Fluer on the other hand couldn't wait to get dressed up and show of the growing baby bump. I swear sometimes I wonder how we are related "hurry up Freya we have to greet everyone" talk about her and she appears "ill just be a minute. Seriously why are you so excited?" I shook my head and put on my earrings and met her at the door "come on then before you hurt yourself" I told he. Grandad had already arrived thirty minutes ago so he could have time with his family before the others arrived.

The first of the guests arrived a few minutes after seven. They were well dressed and they spoke money, you can tell just by looking at them "don't worry they're harmless" Fluer told me as I watched the couple make way into the living room "I didn't even say anything" I said "but you had that look" I shook my head "whatever you say" I shrug my shoulders and look away.

"Freya this is a distant cousin of ours, Gemini" I smiled and greeted him "nice to finally meet you" he said "you too" it was a little awkward at firs "Gem has been traveling for the last few years and only came home a few weeks ago as a surprise" the young man gave a cheeky grin "I could always leave again and come back another time" Fluer rolled her eyes "why don't the two of you get to know each other. You guys have a lot in common" Fluer pushed us away from the door towards the living area. It was beginning to get crowded and there was still a few guests that had yet to show up "I'll get us some drinks" Gemini said when we found a place to sit. there weren't many people about which I was thankful for, it meant more privacy.

Taking the tall glass of champagne and taking a sip of the cool liquid I watched Gemini sit down beside me "I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned you before" I told him "most of the fabulous fam think I'm a disappointment to the Evergreen name" I can take one guess who would be at the top of that list "why's that?" I asked "I dropped out of high school during final exams to travel and some people didn't approve of my decisions" he sat slouched on the sofa with a leg crossed over the other "I see, some people can really piss you off can't they" I joke slightly shaking my head and taking another swig at my drink "I've made the decision of dropping out of college although I haven't told dad and Fluer yet" in reality I had no idea how I was going to bring it up. Fluer didn't go to college and dad went straight into business after high school so they were proud of me. I sighed and watched the older man "don't overthink it, wait until your ready and have something figured out for when you do" I smiled "you know what that's the best thing I've heard in days. Its been in my mind and the stress is so high from it" I admitted. We talked for a few moments before pausing when the grandmother was in sight "I'm assuming you've met the lovely grandmother?" I snorted "haven't you heard?" I asked back "heard what" I grinned "I gave her a quiet a mouthful a few years ago. Don't think I've ever heard such a silent room before" I told him "oh how I would have loved to see that" I shrug "she deserved it and needed to know not to mess with and witch with Evergreen blood running through her" the grandmother passed by talking to many guests with her fancy dress and pinned up hair. Her shoes clicked on the floor and it annoyed me, standing there as if she owned the place "her family are very powerful so it's no wonder she's that why" its always about power and money with all these people. I wonder why dad never walked away from all of it, he doesn't fit in with this scene "karma will happen to those who deserve it" I said "yeah your right" Gemini stood to get us another drink and Fluer decided at that time to walk over.

"how is everything?" she asked "alright I guess. The plan is to drink myself silly and go straight to bed" I told her "you know I'm starting to worry about you. The drinking is getting out of hand" I shrug "it makes me happy" Fluer looked down, fiddling with her fingers "I'll just go the and we can talk in the morning" I raised a brow and watched her go. It must be the hormones.

The night was almost over, midnight upon us and I couldn't wait. Snow covered the garden in a thick layer as I sat on the swing that hung from the oversized tree. I needed some space from in there and decided fresh air would help. The cloak did nothing to protect me from the cold "if only you were here mum" I said. With the memories being messed up it doesn't feel like three years have went by. Closing my eyes I took a deep breath and opened the again. Looking up at the sky I could see my breath air the air. Every new year mum and I would be dresses in our fluffiest pyjamas with hot chocolate in our hand whilst wrapped up in a blanket on the sofa watching old classical movies. I missed those days with her. I miss my mum.