Chapter 11

The Mists still covered Cackles and everyone was beginning to get restless. Miss Cackle had informed this morning that the emergency food supply was all that is left in the kitchen and so meal portions where going to be cut down. Never before has this happened she said. A day at most is the longest these mists would stay.

"Why not put on a show? Something entertaining to keep us busy." Emily said.

"That's a brilliant idea, but what should we do. A talent show? That might be fun." Someone else said.

"How about a performance. Acting out one of the witching stories." Emily was excited as she talked about it.

"But we don't know the first thing about acting." Another woman maybe a few years younger than us said.

"Freya can help us." I looked up from the book I was reading.

"Me?" I asked.

"Yes you. You're the only person that's good at this stuff so of course it shouldn't be hard to help us." I thought about it for a few seconds.

"Ok then." I said.

"Great we can meet up after breakfast and figure out what we will do." She said.

We ate in somewhat comfortable silence until the hall was nearly empty. There was only a few people still eating. Miss Cackle was leaving the teachers table as my eyes landed on it and Miss Hardbroom said something to her before picking up her spoon. It was still early but for Miss Hardbroom this was a bit late for her to be starting breakfast.

That was a bit random. Why would I think such a thought. It's like the teacher knew someone had their eyes on her as she began looking around the room. Quickly averting my gaze and turned back to my book and waited for Emily to finish.

An hour. That's how long I've been here listening to different ideas of what we should perform.

"Has anyone got any experience in acting?" I asked. No one answered. I sighed, I'm a performer not a director but I'll try my best.

"Ok so we have the play picked out so now we just need to give out the roles." Conjuring up a pile of scripts I handed them out. "Read over these and if you find a role you like then write your name down with the act you want. If there is more than one person that wants the role then we can do an audition." I said.

"What do we so if we have to do the audition?" A boy asked.

"From the script I will pick out a scene that you will then have to act out. Whoever does the best job will get the role. As for anyone else that wants to help we will need costumes for the participants" I said.

"I did a fashion course a few years ago so I can help with alterations and things." A women said. I smiled and thanked her.

"All help is welcomed to be able to pull this off in a short amount of time. But during this it can keep us busy and entertained." I said.

Everyone went of into groups that seemed to have formed over the last many days we've been trapped.

"I dont know how we're going to pull this off Emily bit you owe me big time." She grinned up at me.

"Of course what would I do without you." She skipped of to join one of the groups which gave me a chance to slip away for a few moments.

Walking down the corridor I stopped outside the familiar door and knocked. The door swung open and I entered the room.

"Sorry to disturb you Miss Hardbroom." I said.

"What is it Miss Evergreen?" She asked.

"I'm not sure but I've been having really bad headaches. Sometimes it affects the eyes like a migraine. There also the hot and cold flushes. It's already been a few days since taking the potion. Could it be withdrawals?" I asked.

"If that's the case then I believe it is. Your body has been relying on it from a long period of you taking it." She said "I must say for someone that going through this your hiding it well." I frown.

"As I've said, hiding the pain is something I'm good at." I said.

There was an awkward pause "I might be able to help with the headaches but your body will still react until the last of the potion is flushed out of your body." She said.

"Of course."

"Come here after every meal to take it for the next five days. If theres any changes then we will stop." I nod at her words.

"I'll have the first one brewed for lunch time." She said.

"Thank you Miss Hardbroom." I said. Standing there I wasn't sure what to do.

"Is there anything else you would like to say?" I jumped at the question.

"I want to apologise for the other night. What I said was inappropriate. I'm not sure what came over me." I told her.

"All is forgotten." She said. I gave her a small smile and left the classroom.

...

It was getting late and tiredness overwhelmed me. Emily had us doing all sorts of things to prepare us for practicing tomorrow. The roles had been cast. Measurements taken. How the stage was going to look. A lot of talking that went on for hours.

I was sat back in the library by the fire where it was warm.

"I'm surprised to see there's no book in your hands." Opening my eyes Miss Cackle was stood in front of me.

"Good evening Miss Cackle." I said. The headmistress sat down on the chair opposite me.

"As a student you weren't very keen in studying until your final year. It's good to see you've not forgotten." Her choice of words were ironic. I couldn't help but slightly laugh.

"Sorry Miss Cackle it's just" I stopped before I can say anything else.

"Promise you wont tell anyone else what I'm about to say. Even Emily does not know of it." I said.

"Of course, what is it my dear?" She asked.

"There are many secrets that I have been keeping these days. My memories is one, gone and unclear from before I was eighteen." I said. "There was an accident and a hard hit to the head." I then said.

"Oh my, and you say you haven't told anyone?"

"I think dad may know something is up but no I haven't." I said.

"I have to say I now understand why you have been acting different these last few weeks."

"What do you mean different?" I asked.

"It's nothing dear. I remember what you were like as student but you've just grown up so much." I smile glad it wasn't anything bad.

"The reason why I am here is because Miss Hardbroom is looking for you."

"Miss Hardbroom?" I asked.

"Yes, she told me that she has something for you and that you're to go to her straight away." She said. Seconds went by and the confusion washed away as I remember.

"Of course thank you Miss Cackle. I must have been lost to time." I said.

I got up from the chair and said goodbye before leaving to meet Miss Hardbroom.