seven

George walked into the cafeteria with more caution than usual. He didn't have a big appetite because his nerves were getting to him again so he decided to just sit down in his usual empty lunch table.

He looked for Dream because he needed to ask when they were going to work on the project next and eventually spotted him walking with his tray.

George steadied himself and started to walk over. He could feel Sapnap's eyes on the back on his head as he reached Dream.

Dream only slightly stopped to allow George to talk. He looked around, probably seeing if anyone was watching him talk to him.

"So when are we meeting up again? To work I mean." George said, almost too quietly for Dream to hear over the chattering around them.

"How about tonight?" Dream said. He only made eye contact with George for a split second then went back to scanning their surroundings.

"Okay that works. See you then." George smiled, trying to be nicer. He had to get on Dream's good side so that he had a chance of surviving his friend group for the rest of the year.

George went back to his seat and played some music through his earbuds. 

He looked over to Dream who had just arrived at his own table. His friends were laughing and poking at him, probably because he was seen talking to George.

He dug through his backpack and found a book he was borrowing from Mrs. William.
Maybe I could go return this now.

George was making up excuses to leave the lunchroom and sit somewhere quieter.

Without any hesitation he stood up and made his way through the halls. They were empty and he didn't even see a hall monitor on the way.

Mrs. William's door was open this time so he walked right in. The room smelled of strong perfume today. "Hey, i'm just here to return this book."

She smiled and took it from George's hands. "Thank you! Did you enjoy this one?"

"Yeah, the whole message of the story is very thought out and I think it's really cool!" George sat in a chair without invitation but the teacher didn't seem to care.

"Do you relate to the message of it?" she asked George, trying to start conversation.

"Well, I don't completely understand it. Why was that girl being so nice to her friends after they were so terrible to her?" George pulled out his notebook while talking. He prepared a new page for doodling.

"That's a great thing to think about. I find that almost all people who have such a strong hatred are just trying to battle their own issues. It's like their way of taking it out other people to make themselves feel better. Sometimes a little kindness is more powerful than adding onto the conflict."

George didn't like how people made others feel so bad just because they aren't happy themselves.

He hummed in interest.

Mrs. William handed George a pack of goldfish. He smiled and took the offer gladly.

He started a flower themed page and used his memory of flowers he previously passed on the walk home to make small bouquets and vines.

The more he thought about what Mrs. William said, the more he realized how true it was. People wouldn't just be mean for no reason, right?

After all, even if everyone had their own battles, some were going to be tougher than others no matter what. It was inevitable.

He took small portions of the goldfish at a time and slowly consumed them until the bell rang. He packed up his pens and threw everything into his backpack. He thanked the teacher and waved goodbye on his way out.

He was stopped by Minx not too far down the hall.

"Hey. What's up with you?" She said, putting a hand in front of George's shoulder to stop him.
"What do you mean?" George asked, slightly frightened by the dark-haired girl.

"Back off from Dream. Don't approach him like the little roach you are and stop trying to be his friend." She sounded bitter and her words were obviously tinged with jealousy.

"Sorry. I didn't realize I was crossing any boundaries I guess," George said. He didn't know why he apologized because there really wasn't a reason to.

"Pft." Minx pushed his shoulder back and continued by him. He was only slightly thrown off balance and then rushed away in the direction of his next class.

*+*+*+

A/N: i hope you guys are okay with shorter chapters. i feel like i write a lot more and a lot easier when there isn't the pressure of a word count i need to reach so i'm tryna wing it now. today's task to make sure you are taking care of yourself is to brush your teeth! :)

(Words: 772)