twenty-seven

A soft string of hums came from inside George's room. He stood for a second listening in, knowing it was Dream.

The song was unrecognizable, probably made up or just something George hadn't heard before. Whatever it was, it was delicate and enjoyable to the ears.

He felt slightly odd just eavesdropping on Dream, who at the time didn't know George was walking back to his room.

Sapnap had dropped them off after shopping after they all agreed Dream should stay with George for the weekend.

His mom happily welcomed Dream, having put some pieces together to guess what Dreams situation was like at home.

He twisted the doorknob, carrying two chocolate chip cookies that his mom bought from the store while he was gone.

Dream spun around in George spinning chair, stopping the tune.
"Why'd you stop?" George asked, slightly disappointed.

"Stop what?" Dream shrugged.
George simply shook his head, smiling and handed his friend one of the cookies. He sat down on the edge of his bed, facing Dream.

Dream's phone pinged, "Ugh, they just announced the date for the homecoming dance."

"When is it?" George asked, not extremely intrigued.

"Next weekend," he said, reading the post by his school. "School dances are so dumb."

George nodded. It was a similar situation with parties and dances. He hated them, especially because he had no friends to go with.

He's only gone to the sixth grade dance but he decided that was his first and last time. The only reason he went was because his mom bought him a new shirt for it and he didn't want it to go to waste.

Dream sat back in his chair, thinking. "I'm not going."

"Yeah me neither," George agreed.

*+*+*+

Almost the whole school buzzed with excitement for homecoming. Whispers and giggles flew between friends trying to guess who will ask to go with them.

This was an excitement George and Dream, again, didn't understand. They seemed to be part of the very small group of people who weren't going.

Small banners and posters with word-play or puns on them which people were using to shoot their shots were held up by nervous students.

Mrs. William seemed to be very excited about the charged people filling into her room. "Hi George! How are you doing?" she asked.

"Pretty good," he answered. George asked about how she was doing and the teacher was good.

"So, what are your plans for this dance everyone is talking about? Lots of people are looking forward to it," Mrs. William said.

George thought for a second, realizing he had no plans to go to the dance nor did he have plans for the day instead. "I'm not going. I think i'll just do something at home."

She nodded, "Oh, I see. You could always make plans with friends too!"

"Yeah, maybe," George said. he smiled and watch the teacher walk away to go start class.

*+*+*+

"This apple is barely edible!" Sapnap exclaimed to the lunch table. "How are they serving this stuff as lunch?"

George laughed, enjoying his first few bites of a sandwich he packed. He finally took the time in the morning to pack a lunch because he was fed up with the stale school foods.

Dream finished the food he was chewing on to talk. "None of us are going to that stupid dance so wanna get together on Saturday? We might as well have fun if everyone else is," Dream suggested.

"Sounds good," George said.

"Oh, um about that... Someone asked me to the dance and I said yes," Sapnap said.
Dream groaned, "You said yes?"

"What the hell was I supposed to do? A pretty girl likes me, and I simply have to say yes. Like one of my unwritten rules," he noted.

"Well, I guess it's just me and George then," Dream said looking over to George.

"Who would ask Sapnap," George jokingly asked, still hung up on the topic.

"Lots of people," Sapnap insisted. "She is named Ellie

The lunch bell rang at last and dismissed everyone from the cafeteria.

*+*+*+

The mixed feelings about Dream would at times really get to him. He was always unsure of certain signals he felt he was getting.

When George finally thought he would be fine with simply being Dream's friend the flirty remarks would get to him again. They would send him right back to where he used to be.

Mrs. William said that George would figure it all out but sometimes it felt like he would be in this constant cycle of liking Dream and then not trusting him at all forever.

Those mixed feelings he had most of the time would tear him up from the inside out and remind him of things Dream did or said in the past. It would make him nervous to have Dream over, but in the end he would still put up with it because Dream didn't deserve to be with his dad just because George had an odd day.

He knew he still really cared for Dream, good friends or not.

The things Dream was put through were easily the cause of his behavior in the past, but sometimes people like that don't always change. They can't always help it on their own.

George hoped that Dream would be one of the people successful in not going back to old habits. He wanted Dream to be the best version of himself but sometimes he just needs that extra push.

*+*+*+

A/N: less frequent chapters while i catch up on schoolwork :/

also this isn't going to go on much longer :) im slowly working my way to the conclusion of this story and trying to make it good! i appreciate all of the comments and i'm glad people are enjoying this!

do something nice for yourself today <3

(Words: 944)