twenty-eight

tw//mention of suicide (very very brief)

*+*+*+

The day of homecoming came around faster than expected and soon enough George and Dream were helping Sapnap get ready.

"Nonono dude part your hair the other way. You look like a doofus," Dream said, messing up the part Sapnap put in his hair.

"Hey! This is my prized possession. Be gentle," he said patting his hair back down.

Dream turned, trying to get George' opinion. "George, doesn't his hair look better this way?"

He nodded and agreed with Dream. "I guess so. Keep it there."

Sapnap tossed the comb down onto the counter and grabbed his phone, "Ugh fine. I have to go anyway."

They followed Sapnap out to his car and waved him off to go pick up his date for the dance.

George and Dream drove back to George's house, trying to avoid any conversation with Sapnap's mom. One she started talking she would never stop.

*+*+*+

The two stood around George's counter  putting some pasta his mom left for them before she left into bowls. It was silent other than the hum of the fridge.

George turned on the TV to a random channel trying to drown out the new tension which the silence brought. Dream sat on the couch next to him, eating his pasta and only throwing occasional glances to George.

It was his chance.

"Dream, I have a question."

Dream turned his head, "Go ahead."

A sudden burst of confidence flowed through George. "So a while ago you told me that what you said about liking me.. was true," he paused for a second, looking away. "Do you still feel that way?"

His friend seemed surprised by the question, like it wasn't expected for it to come up again.
"Uh well I think so," he said. "Why?"

"I said I liked you too.. why didn't anything happen?" He didn't know what he was trying to get out of this conversation but he hoped it would be good.

Dream sighed, "Look, i'm honestly trying to ignore my feelings. I don't think it's a good idea for us to be anything more than we are right now."

George bit the inside of his cheek. Although he didn't loose all hope yet, his heart stung with disappointment.
"Why would it be a bad idea?"

He tried to get Dream to look over to him but Dream just sat, looking at his hands. "It's already hard to see you and ignore what my old friends did to you. I can't help but feel guilty."

"But that's not your fault Dream. I think you've changed," George reasoned.

Dream clenched his jaw, collecting himself before responding. The air grew much more tense and his words would need to act as they were walking on eggshells.

"How would you know that? Even if I change I wouldn't be able to completely forgive myself."

"I promise I would be fine. I've been made fun of my whole life." George still desperately looked towards Dream but the gesture was not returned.

Dream's voice slightly raised, laced with frustration, "You don't understand. If they kept coming after you it could've driven you to horrible things... even suicide. Don't act like you've never heard those stories."

George slightly flinched at Dream's tone but it wasn't acknowledged. "But i'm okay now. We can just move on from it."

"George. I hate that I never stood up for you until the point where Techno physically hurt you. I could've stopped them!" Dream's words were shaky and still above his normal volume.

Dreams face seemed to heat up and he leaned forward in his seat.

"Dream calm down-" he tried saying, but was unintentionally cut off.

"Don't you see? I'm horrible. I would never be good for you to get closer to," Dream scolded. At this point he was what George considered yelling.

Dream looked angry. He stood up, clenching his fists. Maybe not angry towards George, but still very angry, which George was not very used to to.

George grew nervous, unaware of how Dream handled anger. He regretted ever bringing up the topic and ruining what could have been a nice night.

"Dream.." George quavered, "You're scaring me."

His friend's face dropped and he snapped his head over to see George tearing up. Dream made George start to cry.

"I- I cant. I'm sorry," Dream retorted. He ran out of the front door.

George hadn't realized it was raining again until he made his way to the window, watching Dream get into his truck and start driving away.

He assumed that Dream wouldn't go home because his dad was in another one of his moods. George threw on his shoes and started running down the street.

The only light provided was the scattered street lamps but it was enough to at least get him to where he needed to go.

*+*+*+
A/N: i know this is a weird place to end a chapter but the next one will be a continuation :D (writing it rn)

it's insane how many people are reading this. it is truly helping me so much to see how happy it makes some of you <3
luv u

(Words: 863)