Chapter 2

Since the school knows about my condition I only attend until noon then go home. I start getting tired after a few hours and I didn't want anyone seeing me when I have to take my meds for the cancer. Finally, the bell rings signaling lunch and me going home. I stand to collect my things and Leo already has them gathered and in my bag. It's like he knows everything I need before I even need it and does it. "I can take my bag, I have free periods and headed home."

"Oh, I know. I told you we have the same schedule. I'll take you home."

"Oh no, I drove so I'm good." Leo just grins and slings my bag over his massive shoulder.

"Then I'll walk you to your car and follow you home, making sure you get home safe and sound." He drapes his arm around me and steers me outside and towards my car. I usually hate people touching me, but Leo oddly makes me feel safe.

"Hey how come you have free periods and getting to go home?"

"Oh, I have a .....job. A lot of responsibilities you know. Here we are now hop in your car and I'll follow you."

"You know you don't have to follow me. I'll be ok."

"I said I would follow you and I will. Now get in. "I climb in the car and watch as he gets in his before pulling out of the parking lot. This is so weird. Oh well I'll just go with it. I pull into my drive and park my car as Leo pulls up beside me. "May I walk you to your door m'lady" he asks with a stupid grin on his face and I couldn't help but bust out laughing. "Oh she laughs. I love it." He jumps out of his car and grabs my bag from me and escorts me to my door.

"Hey, I want to thank you for making my first day go easy. It really means a lot to me."

"I told you I'm the alpha of the school, it's my job to make the new girl feel welcomed. Open your door so I can make sure you get in." I roll my eyes at him and open the door taking my bag from him.

"Thanks Leo, I'll see you tomorrow." He smiles and waves heading back to his car. I close the door and slump onto the couch I am exhausted.

"Honey is that you?"

"Yeah mom I'm in the living room. I am so tired."

"I'll get your infusion ready. Have you eaten? Tell me about your first day. Did you make any friends?" She peppers me with questions as she runs around the room collecting everything needed for my chemo.

"No, I haven't had lunch yet. I had a good first day a little weird, but good and apparently I have a new best friend."

"Oh, what's her name?"

"Her name is Leo, and she is a he."

"OOOO is he cute?

"Mom!"

"Well, is he?"

"Yes, he is drop dead gorgeous. I mean he has these amazing blue eyes. He even followed me home to make sure I got home safe. I mean who does that?"

"Your dad did things like that. I'm glad you made a friend. I'll make you some soup after I hook your meds up." She connects my infusion and I pull the blanket from the back of the couch wrapping up in it and promptly fall asleep. I awake as my mom places my hot soup in front of me. "You know you don't have to go to school. The doctors said you didn't have to."

"Mom, I told you I want to be as normal as I can."

"Ok, I just hate seeing you so tired."

"Don't worry, Leo carried my books I hardly had to do anything. I hope the school didn't tell him and making him do the things. I really like him mom. What if it's just because the school is making him?"

"Honey the school signed a nondisclosure they can't tell anyone anything. I think the boy just liked you. Now eat your soup and let's watch a movie. What do you say?"

"Ok you pick, I'm game for anything." I watch as mom turns the tv on and a rom com starts up. Oh, I love a good romance. I snuggle into the couch eating my soup while my mind wonders back to Leo. I would love to grow up and marry someone like Leo, but this cancer is trying to take my life before it even starts. It's not fair. Before I know it's nighttime. I finally remove my wig and head to bed.