Chapter 10

Leo's POV

My wolf has been on edge since Victoria has been in the hospital. He has taken over quite a few times and took off towards our mate just so he could be near her and catch her scent. I made sure she knew I was thinking of her sending her roses and a wolf along with picking the wildflowers from the place we had our first date. I hope she can open up to me about her illness so I can know how serious it really is.

"Alpha" I look up as the pack doctor walks into my office. I motion for him to take a seat.

"Ah doc, find anything out for me?" I ask once he settles himself in front of me. He looks at me and I can see he has worry in his eyes.

"Yes Alpha, I'm afraid I did." I nod waiting on him to continue and watch as he rings his hands. "The thing is, it's really bad Alpha. I kinda hacked into her doctor's files once you told me where she was at. As you know this is her third bout with cancer. It was a close call the last time she had cancer, but she was strong and pulled through, but from the doctors notes it's in her bones and her blood now. Her chances of survival are less than five percent." I jump up slamming my fists down on the desk cracking it down the middle causing all the paperwork to fly around before falling to the floor. The doctor jumps up and backs away from me. "Alpha, I'm sorry. I will continue my research with the elders and see if there is something we can find out."

"You do that!" I growl out as my eyes flash with anger before I run out of the office and shift running away before I end up throttling the good doctor. I take off into the forest and find my way to the hospital and huffing I lay down facing it watching for my mate. I inhale deeply getting what little I can of her scent and I slowly start settling down. I know it's not the doctor's fault, but I really wanted to hurt him when he told me that she only had a five percent or less chance of survival. I lay there with my head on my paws waiting. Before I realize it, the sky has turned to evening. I catch my mates scent getting stronger. Lifting my head, I see the nurses wheeling her to her mom's car and her mom getting in. I stand up excited and watch as the car takes off to her house. I let out a loud howl and take off flying to get back home and clean so I can go over and see her. I need to see her, and I hope to hold her. My wolf needs it too. Just as I make it back home, I shift and run into the house jumping into the shower getting clean. As I'm pulling on my clothes, I hear a ding on my phone.

"Hey I'm home. Mom said you can come over." I smile and hastily grab my keys running and jumping in the car heading to my love. In less than ten minutes I pull into her drive and run up her steps knocking on the door.

"Hey Leo" her mom smiles opening the door pulling me into a hug. "She's upstairs in her room. You can go on up she'll be happy to see you." I take the steps two at a time and stop at her door. I gently knock on the door and hear a little shuffling before her quite voice calls out.

"Come in." Walking in I see her sitting up in bed against her headboard with a bunch of pillows. Her mom has set her up a table that rolls holding her computer and phone. Beside her bed on her nightstand the roses and wildflowers are in vases and the wolf I sent her is in bed with her. She smiles at me shyly and motions for me to come in. I notice she has a cloth cap on her head, but I don't see any hair sticking out. I come in closing the door behind me walking up and placing a kiss to her forehead before taking the seat that is beside her bed. She reaches for my hand and I lace my fingers with hers.

"I missed you Leo."

"I missed you too. I was so worried, and I couldn't visit you." I say pulling her hand up to my mouth kissing in. Victoria takes a deep breath and steads her eyes with mine.

"Leo, I have something important to tell you." She holds up her hand as if saying let me get this out before you say anything. "I have cancer. Actually, this is my third time with it and ...... the doctors say more than likely I won't live to be an adult. It's in my bones and blood and really, they are just trying to hold it back for as long as they can." She turns her eyes from mine and reaches up pulling her cap off her head revealing her bald head. "I lost it the last time I had cancer and it never grew back." I can tell she is scared, embarrassed and about ready to cry. I can feel all her feelings coursing through my body which tells me our bond has gotten stronger. I stand and slide my shoes off climbing into bed with her pulling her into my body wrapping my arms around her. She turns her head into my chest, and she starts crying. I kiss the top of her beautiful bald head and rub her back.

"It doesn't matter about your hair or that you have cancer." I whisper against the top of her head. She pulls back and looks up into my eyes.

"Your not turned off by....this" she motions to her hair and her whole body. Smiling I place my finger under chin tipping her face closer to mine.

"No, Victoria. I love you." I say to her watching as her eyes grow wide and I lower my lips to hers gently kissing them. My wolf howls in my head with delight as she kisses me back. As we pull away from each other her mom walks in the room carrying a tray of food.

"Now Leo, I see she told you." I nodded and grabbed Victoria's hand pulling it to my mouth kissing it. Her mom smiles and places the tray in front of her daughter. "She has a lot of new rules and maybe you can help me getting her to follow them. She can be very stubborn." She smiles and winks at us. "First things first get her to eat." She yawns and heads toward the door. "I'll be back in a little bit." She called over her shoulder as she walked out of the room closing the door behind her.

"Ok you heard your mom you have to eat." She rolls her eyes at me and huffs under her breath.

"Fine." I watch as she eats encouraging her to eat at least half. After thirty minutes she finally gets down enough. I watch as her eyes look glazed and heavy.

"You look exhausted. Why don't you go to sleep?"

"No, I want to visit with you." She gets out before yawning really big. I pull her back and lay down letting her head rest on my chest.

"It's ok I'll stay. You go ahead and sleep."

"Promise you won't leave." I kiss her head and whisper as her eyes fall shut curling her body into me.

"No I won't leave. I love you now rest." The sky is dark outside, and I feel the exhaustion deep in my bones from not sleeping waiting on my mate to come home. My eyes fall closed and sleep takes over with my love wrapped in my arms safe and sound.