48

Dedicated to
Helen McCrory

—     MALFOY MANOR, ONE WEEK BEFORE THE BATTLE OF HOGWARTS

Draco sat by his window, his face expressionless and chin resting on the palm of his hand. His foot was on the edge of the armchair while a blanket was draped over his legs. His eyes ran along the maze he used to love and the green garden in front of him. He thought about how light it seemed and how alive the world felt back then. So innocent and curious, then suddenly turned to ash by truth and evil.

The tray of baked bread, mashed potatoes and meat stood by his bedside table, left untouched but he drank the tea at least. How ironic it was for him to beg her to take care of herself when he couldn't do that himself.

His room was spacious. But dark and the walls seemed like they were mourning the days he used to draw on them. He stopped, though. Lucius never really let him do much but study and practice from an early age. Though, even his father had somewhat of a soft side for his son, buried deep down, embarrassed almost.

"Draco?" his mother's sweet voice called from the other side of the door, slightly pushing it open and letting herself in when he did not respond, "Why haven't you eaten, darling?"

"I'm not hungry," he mumbled in his palm, staring out the window and not looking at her. She reminded him too much of her.

Narcissa sat on his bed, facing her son as she felt heartbroken from her son's state. She worried he might snap at the wrong time, having his father's terrible temper. The eyes of his mother felt like they were caressing his face as she looked at his pale skin and dark circles, his dry lips and slight blood that he licked off from picking at them.

"Did she get your letter?"

"I guess. I don't know." he answered shortly, slowly feeling himself lose the last bit of patience he had, even with her. Even if Draco was as slow as a snail these days, tired always, he always seemed to find energy to argue, to yell and break.

"I'm sure she has," said Narcissa but only got silence in return. She let out a sigh, walking over to the other side of Draco's bed and picking up the tray of food, "Come on, get up."

Draco side eyed her with the last bit of audacity he had and rolled his eyes, getting up from the armchair and sitting on the bed next to his mother. She moved her head to tell him to rest his back on the headboard, moving herself to give him space. She tore a piece of bread, dipping in the sauce from the meat and putting it in front of his mouth.

"Mum-"

Narcissa moved quick and shoved the bread in his mouth as if she was stuffing a turkey for Thanksgiving. She smiled when Draco widened his eyes and glared at her. Giving in, he chewed his food as she picked up some mashed potatoes on the fork. And Draco finally ate that day, remembering how his mother's food was always different from the food at Hogwarts. It was much better.

"See, that wasn't so hard," she said, her fingers stroking his cheek as he only nodded, "Take a shower, darling. The meeting will start soon."

"Do I have to go?"

"I'm afraid so," she said sadly, putting the tray on his bed, "It'll be quick, don't worry."

He nodded, his lip quivering as he tucked it in his mouth and bit it to stop himself from crying. He lowered his head, trying to hide from his mother, but didn't succeed.

"Oh, darling..." she said, taking his hand and pulling him towards her. Draco's arms almost tugged at her as if he had never hugged her before. She rested her chin on top of his head, running her fingers through his hair as he silently cried, hearing her shush him quietly, "I know you miss her. But, she isn't gone. She's with you."