50

"Do you think we'll make it?" Elle asked, walking alongside Astera in the courtyard, both not bothered to attend any classes they had left. It was almost the end of the year anyway.

"I think so," she said, hands in her pockets, "I think we'll be okay."

But she wasn't sure. She couldn't say "yes", but she couldn't say "no" either. It was uncertain; their future. It seemed so bright, yet so dark at the same time. They were just children after all, and they were hopeful. But Astera knew not to hold onto hope for too long; it only leaded to feeling so let down.

"We will be," said Elle, smiling, "And we'll go to the house my parents have and I'll push you in the lake and laugh when you can't swim."

"Hey, I'm a good swimmer."

"Are you, though?"

Almost, it felt hard to see them laughing together. But, then it seemed to hopeful and light in times like these. Somehow, it showed that there was good in bad times. Times where everything seemed so dark, the two of them were each other's light.

"Elle?"

"Hm?"

"Do you think he'll come back?"

Elle lowered her head, thinking as she walked slowly, "I do. Like, I actually do."

"What makes you think so?"

"Astera, you went through a lot together. That doesn't simply just fade away into nothingness."

Astera nodded, pushing her bangs out of her face. Her hair as well as her bangs had gotten long, despite the fact that she tried trimming it on her own. A lot of the times it was either down or pulled back in a braid behind her. She didn't put much effort into her appearance as she used to. Her clothes were sometimes dirty and ripped, her jeans were ripped as well, splashes of... well, anything staining them. She slept in the same jumper and wore her one pair of boots or her one pair of sneakers. Who would've thought she came from a family wealthier than the Malfoy's?

"Besides, he loves you a bit too much to just let you go like that," Elle said, flicking the ring on the chain around Astera's neck, smiling suggestively as her friend slightly blushed.

"I just... I don't know how I can forgive him. He used me," she said, Elle noticing how sad her eyes seemed whenever she spoke about him, "He's-" she stopped herself, lowering her voice as she spoke, "He's a Death Eater, too."

"Yeah... I forgot about that."

At the end of the day, they really were just teenage girls who knew nothing about boys or relationships, except their situation had a bit of a twist.

Elle spoke with confidence as she gave Astera advice, sounding as if she was joking but really she was not. Her best friend was smiling, trying to take her seriously as she talked about her relationship like she had just gotten out of a divorce.

"...And then boom, he's on his knees for you."

Astera laughed, patting Elle's shoulder who seemed confused as to why her friend was laughing.

"Lilith!"

The girl both flinched at the loud and high pitched voice coming towards their way. They both turned around to face an angry Alecto Carrow walking towards their way, her walk hard as she pushed students out of her way. The girls looked at each other, Astera noticing Elle reach in her back pocket to take her wand out, but Astera's hand stopped her, giving her a look.

"Yes, professor?"

Alecto was fuming at the student's expressionless poker face, acting like she was talking to just another person and not a woman with authority, "You dare speak to me after that stunt you pulled two days ago?!"