23

"Blimey, Astera, you've outdone yourself!" Hagrid said, a pleased look on his face as he munched on the cookies she had baked with him today.

"Are they good?"

"Good?! That's an understatement, I tell ya," he pushed the plate towards her, "Just try it."

The two spent the morning baking together. Hagrid's hut was small but worked well for her. She knew her way around it better than she knew the dorms. Hagrid was always open to her, he always let her in no matter the hour.

"So, uh..." he started, "How have you been?"

"Better, but I'm doing well. I lit up some candles, you know as I usually do." she said, already knowing what he was referring to. Hagrid was the only one that knew about her parents. He was the first one she told when she found out that day. Well, Draco knows now, too.

"Ya know, you can always come if you need 'nything."

Astera nodded, giving him a small smile. She stayed with him for an hour or two, before taking some cookies for herself and leaving him be. On her way out, she smiled at the hippogriff, remembering her task.

Astera slightly ran inside the castle, her hair bouncing in her ponytail. She felt cold breeze against her neck, slightly giving her goosebumps. She ignored it, that is, until she felt Draco's cold hands press against her.

"Draco, you arse!" she shrieked, stumbling back. She turned to see his face, but was faced with his hand over his lips. He was quietly laughing, a new view for Astera. He hadn't laughed in a long time. Even when he did, it was just a huff of air out of his nostrils or mouth. It was forced. With Astera, he laughed.

"Remember when you sent a flock of pigeons my way?"

"They weren't pigeons, Draco-"

"Whatever, this is my payback."

Astera shook her head, continuing her walk. Draco appeared on her side, his hands in his pockets. She noticed, he wasn't in his clad suit. Instead he wore pants and a green sweater. He looked more refreshed, more teenage.

"What were you doing here?" she asked.

Draco stuttered a little, hiding the fact that Snape had just given him another scolding in his office minutes ago. He had seen her leave Hagrid's hut and decided to wait for her. But, he couldn't tell her so.

"I was just walking around. Did you hear the carols this morning?" he asked. Astera noticed his attempts at being a normal human, not a tyrant or a degrading bully.

"I did. They sang like ten times as I walked past," she slightly laughed, hearing him join in, "Oh, here, I almost forgot."

She took a small bag out of her pocket, a small bow tied to hold it closed. She took Draco's wrist, putting it in his hand, "I brought some for you. If you want them, that is."

Draco untied the bow, the material falling down and noticing three baked cookies. His eyes slightly widened and his brows shot up, surprised at her gesture. She waited for his answer, unsure whether he'd accept or not.

Draco would normally take other people's gifts. He wasn't really given any. If he was, he never paid them much attention. Sometimes he didn't even open them. To him, gifts weren't that special as they were only given to him as a child as a form of discipline; you behave like I tell you, you get a gift. And so, for Draco, they were merely just empty objects and paper wrapped boxes.

"You made these?"

"Mhm. This morning actually. Hagrid told me he really likes them," Astera said, not really minding how stuttered and taken aback he really was.