10

"How many times must I tell you, stay away from her!" Snape's loud voice echoed throughout the halls, his hand gripping at Draco's collar as his face was alarmingly close to him.

"I am!" Draco retorted back, his eyes fearful yet also angry, "She's the one trailing after me!"

"If you didn't want her as much around, you wouldn't have let her stick around, Draco." Snape said, letting go of his collar and slightly pushing Draco against the wall. The boy hissed as his shoulder blade hit a brick, masking it quickly when Snape turned back around.

"Why does it matter? It's not like she knows anything." he said, crossing his arms.

Snape's head turned and his black eyes stared deep into Draco, "And it better stay that way."

"Have you g-"

"No. Nothing." Draco cut him off, slightly regretting it as he was well aware of Snape's dominant nature.

The man stared one last time, before speaking, "He can smell the fear off you, Draco. You're shaking."

Snape walked away, leaving Draco alone in the halls. The boy grunted, his head hitting the stone wall and his face grimacing. He wanted to hurt, to cry, to scream. His brain worked to find a solution, but the only thing he thought of, was her.

He recalled and heard her laugh. His fists unclenched at the thought of her smile and wicked spells. He wondered how she could possibly be a Ravenclaw. She was so mischievous. Then again, she was so smart, so intelligent. Draco remembered that night. The night she saw him crying and how she didn't ask questions. Instead she spoke about the stars and constellations.

But he couldn't take himself to her. He couldn't trust her or cry to her. He couldn't, no, he wouldn't allow himself to fall. He was well aware he would fall at her words. She had a way with them. Like poetry.

No, stop it! She's a mudblood. She's different and annoying and another stupid girl. She is a disgrace to all witches and wizards!

His thoughts fought with each other as he walked, almost ran to his dorm. He felt his chest tighten, his fingernails dug into his palms and created bloody crescent moons. His body slumped on the couch, rocking himself back and forth in the lonely common room.

His cries were loud and echoed. No matter how thick the stone walls were, he was heard. But, Astera couldn't go in. She couldn't do anything. How could she?

Her thoughts had a battle of their own, fighting over right and wrong.

He's evil and hurtful. I don't even want to see him.

But, he's hurting. And he was. Draco was alone. He was scared. Terrified and petrified. He wished to be held and comforted.

"Draco?" she gave it a shot. Sure, the stone walls were thick, but surely they weren't soundproof, right?

His cries muted her, even as he was sat close to the entrance of the common room.

"Draco?"

His head shot up, his eyes locking with the wall in front of him. It was her. He recognized her. He walked slowly, agonisingly slowly as he left the common room. She was at the stairs, her back to him as she had just turned to leave.

Draco broke down. Astera picked up the sound of something, turning her head.

"Draco." she walked to him, his body on the floor and back against the wall.

His cries were soft and sad, as his hands clenched the material of his coat.

"What's wrong?" she asked, bending down to see him. Her eyes couldn't believe themselves as she saw his red eyes and tear stained cheeks.

Draco couldn't speak and only wept.

But his eyes opened and grew wide as he felt an arm wrap around him. His fingers stood open as his tears stained the shirt she had been wearing.

Her eyes looked at the wall in front of her, following the cracks in the stone as if they were map guides. She brought her other arm up, locking it behind his waist as she let her left one around his shoulder.

She closed her eyes as a heavy exhale left Draco. His arms dropped to his side, and his head leaned onto hers. His position seemed dead-like, but Draco had never felt more alive and human than before. 

Astera kept quiet, guessing Draco didn't wish to speak. As much as she was confused and terrified of his state, she was ready to face a cold and full-of-himself Draco the next day. Astera was aware that the boy would be ashamed of this. She knew, because she would feel ashamed too.

The boy on the floor didn't move. The back of his hands rested on the cold stone floors of Hogwarts, feeling the dust beneath them. His back felt the bricks behind him and he heard the small cracks under his shoes when he slightly moved. His closed eyes remained calm and didn't let tears escape anymore. The once heavy breaths he let out and unsteady heart, were calm and steady, flowing in a healthy motion.

"Do you, um, need anything?" Astera asked quietly, not moving an inch. She was scared if she did so, Draco's relaxed position and calm soul would go back to normal and be like raging fire. He had small things setting him off and they made any situation uncomfortable.

He breathed out, then filled his nostrils with her scent. She smelled like snow, burnt wood and a hint of ink. It calmed Draco's senses down.

"I'm fine."

"Alright."