dandelions

"Lilith."

Her head turned on the grass, looking at the curl of his lashes as he traced the outline of the cloud above him with his eyes.

"Yes?"

"What's your favourite flower?"

She turned her head back, looking at the sky and the flying birds above her. As she thought, she stared at the changing silhouette of the clouds, the brown and black birds and their wings.

She hummed for a second before opening her mouth to speak.

"How about... Dandelions."

Draco turned his head, feeling the weight of it on his fingers behind his head. He held a judging look in his eyes, yet his smile tipped him off.

"Dandelions?" he asked, "Why?"

"Well..." she sat up, turning her body on the grass. She rested her hand on her palm, "They're soft. And they're like messengers."

"You can go deaf if they get in your ear."

"Of course you'd say that," she rolled her eyes, "Have you seen a field full of them? It's gorgeous."

"And then someone blows one at you and you go deaf."

She huffed angrily, pushing the side of his head whilst he simply chuckled at her, finding her aggravation amusing.

"Alright, what else do you like about them? What's that thing you said about messengers?"

"Well, you know that thing where you blow a dandelion and make a wish, yeah?" he nodded in response, "Some people say that the right part of the dandelion that flies off goes to the person you love. Or you're supposed to be with."

Draco looked back at the sky, "That's pathetic."

"Yeah, I wouldn't expect you to understand," she said, laying herself back down on the ground. Her ears noticed the silence, feeling a need to fill it up, "What's your favourite flower, then?"

"I don't have one."

"You have to."

"No, I don't."

She rolled her eyes, "Fine, then I'll assign you one."

He looked at the girl from the corner of his eye, waiting for a response eagerly.

"Dianthus caryophyllus."

"What?"

"A red carnation, Draco. Or a pink one."

"Pink?" he sat up quickly, "A pink flower, Lilith, are you joking?"

She laughed, "Why? They're pretty. They smell good, too."

"Oh, so you think I'm pretty and smell good?"

"Piss off."

Draco sat on the wood floors of the Malfoy library, the moon lighting the pages of a book he flipped through. His eyes stung from tiredness and lack of sleep, but he swore not to close the book until he found the reason behind her answer.

He scanned each flower with his eyes, watching the pictures change and the smell of flowers enter his nostrils. His fingers pushed the pages until his eyes landed on a flower — a red carnation.

He quickly read through the basics of it, stopping a the word meaning which was in bold and dark black ink.

"Often times, the light red carnations represent admiration, whilst opposite them — the dark red carnation is a representative of deep love and affection," he read quietly, gulping a heaviness in his throat as he smiled gently at the page.

He pushed a page, finding more of the red carnation and stopped as his eyes saw a sentence in bold: Alas for my poor heart, my poor heart aches.

He stared at the words for a moment, wondering if she was aware of the quote or meaning of the flower. He wondered if she intentionally said that specific flower or just out of the top of her head.

But he flipped a page or two and stopped at the pink carnation, "A mother's pure or never ending love..."

His lips parted as he let out a laugh of disbelief, shock even. She knew Draco did not love any woman like he did his mother. So, it wasn't a coincidence. It wasn't from the top of her head.

And lastly, he read the quote in bold: I'll never forget you.