11

"I wasn't sure what to do. I just helped him get up and then I... Left." Astera said, her voice sounding sad and, almost, disappointed in herself. She felt as if she could do more, be more of a help to Draco, but then again, why should she?

Hagrid was speechless, only staring at her as she sat in his overly big chair, her fingers wrapped around the mug in attempt to warm them. He always gave her good advice, despite not always being in the same situation as her. But, this time, Hagrid, of all people, was left speechless.

"Please say something. I feel like I've broken a law." Astera said, her eyes pleading and legs swinging. She swung her legs whenever she felt wrong or embarrassed.

"Well, I, uh..." he started, scratching the back of his head. He looked over at the dog laying in front if the fire, but he was no help, "I really don't know what to tell ya."

Astera huffed, rolling her eyes and putting her head in her hands after setting the mug down, "I've screwed up, haven't I, Hagrid?"

"What? No, you haven't," Hagrid finally said, "You are a caring person. And caring people care for people."

"But, I don't care for Draco, Hagrid. He doesn't mean anything to me."

Astera thought about what she had just said. Does she care for him? The anger she felt towards him was unimaginable. She wished to sit him down and scream all the wrongs he has done in his life. She wished to make him feel awful for all he has said and all the troubles he has caused.

But, she couldn't. She wouldn't, either. Astera knew that would make her even worse than Draco. Far worse. He wasn't evil, but he wasn't good either. He had a grey area, but Astera wasn't sure whether he went towards the white or towards the black more. Was he more evil or more good?

"People don't have to mean anything to you for you to help them." Hagrid said, leaving Astera in another wave of thoughts.

☆☆☆☆☆☆

Draco huffed, throwing the book across the room. His angry voice and annoyed sighs filled the echo-y space. He stared at the objects in front of him, his eyes raking over each of them in hopes of finding a solution. There wasn't one.

He wasn't getting any news. No one spoke to him or sent him a letter. No one gave him information. The letter from his mother was clear; he wasn't coming home anytime soon. She has written it secretly, away from Lucius or the Dark Lord. She hid in the dark, using her wand as a light source as her hand quickly scribbled onto the parchment.

He spoke to himself, nonsense mostly. He wasn'y sure what he was saying either. The words came out quietly and incoherently. He was pacing around, his fingers fidgeting with anything they could get themselves on. His blond hair was a mess from all the times he tugged at it or ran his hands through it.

Out of all times he wished to truly be alone, the doors opened. And he wasn't anymore. Inside walked in a girl, her head buried in a book as she read out loud, moving her wand with every word to help her concentrate.

Draco flinched as the doors closed, surprised that she didn't notice him. At least that's what he thought. Astera noticed him, alright. But, she kept her distance, trailing off to another part of the room and sitting down on an old wooden chair.

Draco was confused, following her slowly and abruptly stopping after she sat down.

"What're you doing here?" He asked, turning away in hopes of tidying himself up and his messy tie. His hands worked quickly as he tried to untie and then tie the tie, feeling the blood rush to his fingers and make them shake.

Astera looked up, from her book, noticing Draco's movements from behind. She tilted her head, the wooden chair cracking as she stood up, closing the book and leaving it there.

"I came to find a quiet place to read." Astera said.

She walked herself in front of him, her head hanging low. She was afraid to lift her head, but did so anyway. Her eyes looked at Draco's distressed face and his shaking hands, the tie lacing through his slender fingers.

Her warm hands slowly raised up, shaking Draco out of his trance. He was panicking and she noticed. She slowly and gently placed each finger over his red knuckles. Draco flinched, visibly and hardly when she touched him. His cold eyes stared at her, hard and in a difficult manner. Astera could almost feel him drill holes in her head.

"Aren't the common rooms quiet enough?" he managed to push, to pull the words put of his mouth ever so quickly.

"There's a noise every day at this time of the day. I think it's the owls. Maybe even rats." she said, her own hands starting to shake.

Astera was able to feel Draco's energy, his aura. It was strong and scary. It was dangerous. But, weirdly calm. She could see the different colours seep out of him, almost turning black.

She carefully pushed down his hands, feeling them cold and dry under her touch. Draco's hard and dull eyes softened, his palms getting the sudden urge to turn and grab hers, holding them and warming himself up. Her heart felt as if it was in the clutches of a monster. It was as if it was being squeezed and blood was threatening to come out at any second.

Draco filled himself up with her scent, smelling the camomile tea off her. She slowly tied the soft and silky material, adjusting it around his neck.

"I... I hope you feel better." Astera said, letting his tie fall and keeping her hand on his chest for barely a second. She walked away behind him, sitting herself down on the wooden chair, and continuing to read.

Draco looked down, turned around and walked with her. He pulled out another wooden chair from the dusty stack, placing it a few steps away from her.

"So, what are you reading?"