59

—    DRACO'S MEMORIES...

December 1996

"Do you want to eat?"

"I'm not hungry."

"You haven't eaten since yesterday."

She looked at him through her lashes, sighing as she turned her head away from him. Draco rolled his eyes, following her movement and moving his head slightly in front of her.

"Lilith, go get food," he said in a demanding way, "I'll wait for you here."

"I'm not hungry, Draco. Leave me alone," she stared through the stained glass of the window before her, her tired eyes almost closing from the lack of sleep and all the tears they had spilled.

Draco sighed, standing up from the window seat and surprising her when he walked away just like she asked. She watched his back disappear down the long corridor, wiping her cheeks and resting one of them on her knees. A few days after she lit candles for her parents' birthday was the day they died. And for her it was treacherous to think that they celebrated their birthday and died a few days later.

Draco had kept her company, afraid to leave her alone, but also not wanting to be alone himself. He had quite enjoyed her company over the last few days. As he made his way back to her, a plate in his hands, she didn't turn to look at or even acknowledge him. He sat across her, putting the plate between them and nudging her knee.

Her eyes looked at him and then the plate, letting a huff of air out of her lips as she put her legs down, crossing them and staring at the plate.

"It's pumpkin soup. You like that, right?"

She nodded, "Yeah, I do."

He watched her pick the plate up, then the spoon and then dip the spoon in the soup, "I feel like I'm gonna throw up."

He tilted his head, "That's because you're hungry. Now, eat."

She rolled her eyes, bringing the spoon to her lips and swallowing its contents. Draco furrowed his brows as she slightly grimaced. She hadn't ate in a long time that her body sort of became used to the lack of food, therefore making her want to throw it up when she swallowed it.

After her one swallow, she looked up at him, as if asking for approval. Draco moved himself closer in front of her, taking the plate from her hands as well as the spoon.

"I got to do everything around here, don't I?" he murmured, wrapping his fingers around the spoon and hearing his rings clink on the plate and metal. Astera stared at him as he raised the spoon to her lips, holding his hand under her chin so it won't drip on her clothing, "Well, open up. I'm not going to stand here all day."

He noticed the small curl of the corner of her lip, opening her mouth as he put the spoon inside, watching her lips slide across the metal, and gulp down the soup. And just like that, quietly and slowly, Draco fed her like a child, watching her swallow food and slightly snort when he heard her stomach grumble from the soup. She sat cross legged before him, hands in her lap as she played with the material of her skirt.

"Good?" he asked as she nodded, wiping the corner of her mouth with the back of her hand, "Come on, there's just a little more left."

"I can't, I'm full," she held her stomach, putting her back against the wall. Draco pressed his lips in a thin line, putting his own back against the wall as he swirled the soup with the spoon.

"Just one more?"

She stared back at him, pushing herself from the wall and opening her mouth. Draco smiled as he filled up the spoon, putting it in her mouth and looking at her eyes as she swallowed for the last time, "Eat the rest of it," she said.