32. New years: 1975/76

26.12.1975
Dear Kristine,

Sorry for the late letter, Merry Christmas mum. We may not have a good relationship but I still want to have a mum. I hope we can meet again some day in the future.

From Carmen.
PS. I love you.

No reply.

30.12.1975
Dear Kristine,

I don't know if you got my last letter or not but Happy New Year.

From Carmen.
PS. I love you even if maybe I shouldn't.

No reply.

Auburn hair was spilt around her head on the soft pillows as the sun spilt through the window onto her face. Her eyes scanned the pages of her book having to reread each sentence atleast twice and sometimes zoning out so much she had to reread a whole page. Her brain felt like a broken record. How was it she was stuttering on words she was reading in her head?

Small droplets of blood stained her flowery bedsheets having dripped from the torn and bitten down skin around her black painted nails. The light purple circles around her eyes showed the hours she had stayed awake during the night waiting for a reply from her mother. But alas Owlbert had once again arrived home with nothing but a fowl attitude.

As her feet hit the wooden floor boards it was as if the cold travled up her legs and through her body, freezing every cell she had. She gazed down the at grey cat that stretched its back at the foot of her bed.

"Good almost afternoon Loki," she ran har fingers over the cats forehead and down its slender back as it purred in response. "Another year closer to the end of the world."

Having pulled on a pair of brown gingham wide legged slacks with a tight fitted Queen shirt tucked in she looked at her reflection in the mirror. She studied herself for a moment.

"Ew," she muttered. "Time for a change."

Shaking her head slightly her once simple shoulder length auburn colored hair transformed into a shaggy soft mullet she had seen in a muggle magazine that Dorcas had showed the girls.

"Oh look at her, serving looks today," Carmen winks at herself in the mirror. "Merlin I hang out with Sirius and James too much."

-

The first floor of the Rogers house had been filled with a comfortable silence only being occasionally broken by a quill scratching parchment. The smell of burning tobacco filled the living room as Greham took drag after drag. Hearing his daughter bound down the stairs he took one long final drag before putting his cigarette out on the ash filled tray that sat in the middle of the table.

"Hey pumpkin," Greham called out still looking down at the mass of papers sitting in front of him tauntingly.

"Smoking again are we father? What's got you all stressed out?" Carmen asked with her arms crossed as she leaned against the door frame.

"Just trying to get these bloody papers filled out now so I don't have to do them tomorrow hung over," Greham sighed loudly.

"Do you want me to make you a cuppa?" She asked making her way towards the small kitchen.

"Yes please. Earl grey with-"

"Honey. I know," Carmen cut him off with a small chuckle. From the other room she could hear him lighting another cigarette. Having never been able to learn the fire creating spell Greham ended up using the muggle method, which led to Carmen finding different colored lighters scattered around the house.