The Grangers Meet the Malfoys

Fun Fact: Hermione took up a job in the Department of Control and Regulation after the war since she was determined to work for the welfare of house elves. She eventually took a place in the Law and Enforcement and was then promoted to the highest position; The Minister of Magic. 

ALSO! I have a favor to ask from y'all. If you guys use instagram, go ahead and follow me @berriartistic. I post my painting and sketches there :) 
I'll follow you back and you can even hmu with a DM and we can become frens :))

Hermione was in her bedroom, writing down notes furiously while she held a copy of the
Daily Prophet in her left hand. She was looking for job requirements in several fields, but she knew what she truly wanted to do. Suzie's help out of a situation so bizarre felt like a sign to her for her long-wanted ambition; to make life better for house elves. 
'Department of Control and Regulation of Magical Creatures' caught her eye. She looked into the requirements, dates for applications and positions that were free. Everything appeared to be in her favor. 
She took a short note to visit the Ministry after her NEWT result and was about to write a letter to Harry when her mother called for her. 
She rushed to the kitchen; her mother and father sat on the dining table with contemplating looks in their eyes.   
'Take a seat, dear,' Mrs. Granger smiled.
Hermione sat down, sensing the seriousness of the situation despite her parents' attempt to lighten the mood.
'Would you like some cake and tea darling?' Mr. Granger asked.
'No, thank you dad. Is everything alright?' Hermione wondered.
'Everything's alright dear, we just need to talk about your boyfriend.' Her mother elaborated.
'Draco's not my boyfriend...' Hermione tried to defend herself. 
'Has he kissed you more than once?' Mr. Granger smirked.
'DAD!' Hermione outraged, blushing. 
'Well, if he has, he's your boyfriend.' He completed triumphantly. 
'Well, alright.' Hermione gave in. 'What about him?'
'Hermione dear, we've got no objections but we've got to meet the family. We're your parents after all. I know you're not in a rush to get married, but well... if he's serious about you we might as well consider at least an engagement.'
Hermione gave her mother a surprised stare. 'Mom, you know what happened with Ron. Engagements break, and I'm not looking for marriage soon. I'm applying for a Ministry job and once I get that, I'll move out to a place I can call my own. I need to be established and sure of myself before I decide to take that step.' She informed calmly. 
Mr. Granger put a hand on Hermione's and spoke. 'Dear, whatever happened with Ron doesn't define engagements. And it's alright if you're not ready to extend things. We'll support you however. You're barely twenty and marriage isn't compulsory. But darling, we want to make sure the boy doesn't end up breaking your heart. We're your parents.'  
Hermione smiled. 'I know, dad. I'll write to him about it. Don't you worry.' 
'Or you could just phone him.' Mrs. Granger added. 
'Mom, he probably doesn't even know what a phone is. I'll write to him.' Hermione laughed. 
***
Draco's bedroom was dark but sleep was not even a millimeter near. The sunrays were creeping in through his dark bedroom curtains. There was a soft knock on the bedroom door, and Draco recognized it well enough.
'Come in...' Draco said.
Suzie walked in, muttering something under her breath. She drew the curtains, earning a questioning stare from Draco. 
'Sorry, Master Draco. I thought the light would help with reading this.' 
She held out a neatly tied envelope. Draco jumped to sit upright the moment he saw Hermione's handwriting. 
'Is it urgent, sir?' Suzie's eyes widened in alarm before she saw his playful, and rather shy smirk.
'Nope...' he excitedly murmured. 
'Aaah...' She smiled. 'It's from the girlfriend...' 
Draco's smirk disappeared as he glanced at Suzie as if she was a child ready for a scolding. Suzie walked out of the room with a satisfied grin on her face. 
Draco opened the envelope and read on. 
Dearest Draco,
After the N.E.W.Ts I've been much focused on job applications. I'm looking for a position to accommodate me to The Department of Control of Magical Creatures. After the whole episode with Suzie and Tuffets, I've become more determined to do something for the house elves and their well-being. Unfortunately, we've become more educated and less civilized. I want the sufferings faced by house elves to come to an end now. It's been enough. 
There are also vocations in the Law Enforcement Department which I am trying to get into too. Unless we've got some magically administered laws to help the elves, we can't do much for them.    

Anyways, this isn't why I'm writing to you. Since you were persistent on it, and now that my parents have asked me too, I was wondering if you think it's time our parents should meet?
I've told them what I've mentioned to you too; marriage isn't something I plan on indulging in soon. After whatever happened with Ron, I've realized that my career and independence is all I have. But let's arrange something with Mrs. Malfoy and my parents in a few days. 
I think it's time we meet up with each other's families. Let me know about your thoughts on this matter. I'll wait for your response. 
Hermione. 
Draco's eyes widened and a rush of emotions hit him, some of which he couldn't identify. He was excited, assured and yet terrified. He leapt out of bed and skipped down the stairs of the manor, walking to the kitchen. 
Narcissa sat on the kitchen table with her reading glasses and a thick volume of book in her hand. She was making notes on the book with a quill. 
'Ahem...' Draco called for attention. 
'Shh, Draco I'm trying to read.' 
'You look like you're preparing for an exam.' Draco smirked. 
Narcissa looked over to her son with a sharp gaze, and noticing that sharp twinkle in his eyes, she raised her eyebrows. 
'Alright Draco. What is it?' Narcissa was relieved to see happiness and Draco's sly nature slowly return. 
'Hermione wants you to meet with her parents.' 
Narcissa's eyes widened. She put her book and quill down and motioned for Draco to sit down. 
'Draco, I know Hermione is a great girl, but you have to take care of her comfort, which she will not get here. You know how spiteful some of the pure-bloods are. You both will face a lot.'
'Are you saying you won't go?' Draco asked, his voice sharp.
'Draco, I'd want what's best for you.' 
Draco's fists clenched tightly, his eyes reducing to two slits. 
'Mother, don't you think father's done enough 'best' for me?' He whispered in a low voice. 
Narcissa's expression became tenser, but she allowed Draco to speak. She knew she had to make things right some how. 
'For once, trust my decision. Trust where I am going. Just for once.' Draco begged. 

****

When Hermione received Draco's letter telling her that Narcissa and he would visit them in four days' time, she was ecstatic. She understood that her parents were not looking forward to seeing the boy who had made her life hell for eight years, but at the same time they were willing to give him a chance. 
For the 'guests', they had prepared a filling lunch main-course, some dessert, and Mrs. Granger had also suggested they watch some TV show together. 
Hermione had made an effort to explain how the Malfoys were definitely not the 'TV show' type, but she was persistent and her daughter could not stop her.
Finally, the day the Malfoys would come to see the Grangers had arrived. Mr. Granger had offered to help pick Draco and Narcissa up from the train station and Draco had wrote to her that they were flattered and would greatly appreciate. 
She dressed in her flowy, mustard dress with blue flowers embroidered on the ends and set off to pick the Malfoys with her father. 
They reached the train station and waited for approximately fifteen minutes before Narcissa and Draco showed up. Hermione was surprised and controlled the urge to gasp out loud. 
Narcissa Malfoy was wearing a plain red dress that ran to her ankles, a purse and black high-heels. Draco wore a black suit and tie with polished shoes, his hair ruffled up. 
'Good afternoon sir.' Draco extended his hand to Mr. Granger, who shook it warmly.
'Hello, hi.' He attempted a smile. 
'Good afternoon, Mr. Granger. How do you do?' Narcissa smiled, her eyes vibrant. 
'I'm well, Mrs. Malfoy.' He led them to his car and unlocked it. Hermione opened the backseat door to let Narcissa sit. She motioned for Draco to sit on the passenger seat, as Mr. Granger got in and started the car.  
She was about to sit next to Narcissa when she noticed Draco rooted to the spot, his cheeks flushed, his hands clenched in a fist. 
'Is everything alright?' Mr. Granger inquired, noticing Hermione. 
'Draco?' Hermione asked worriedly. 
'I... I don't know how to open this...'  
***
At the table, everything was unusually quiet. When Hermione's mother got up to serve, Draco stood up too. 
'Do you want any help, Mrs. Granger?' he asked.
Hermione could see how hard he was trying to gain her parents's approval and it only made them realize that he really wanted to be with their daughter. And so they began warming up to Draco. it was a slow and gradual process, but the warmth began resonating from both families soon. 
Mrs. Malfoy  began indulging in conversation and soon, the women on the table couldn't be quiet. They talked about all topics, muggle and magic, and the men listened keenly with interest, adding their own agreements and disagreements. 
It seemed to Hermione that her mother had forgot about the TV show she wanted to show to Draco and Narcissa, and she was grateful.