The Guests

A few more days, and they'd be back to Hogwarts. Draco had a complex feeling about this. Before he had boarded the Hogwarts Express, he had felt miserable about it. Now that he was to leave the Manor once again for Hogwarts, he felt saddened at the thought of leaving his Mother alone again.
Dissolved in his thoughts, he was interrupted by the small voice from the corner of the room.
'Master Draco must wear nice clothes. Mistress has invites guests.' Suzie said.

Draco looked at the house elf, extremely confused.
'Guests?' He was surprised at the word itself.

'Guestes, yes.' Suzie smiled.
'But, you must been mistaken -'
Suzie's eyes darkened, as she mumbled, 'There is no room for mistake for house elf, Master.'

'Don't be silly. Everyone makes mistakes.' Draco tried to make her feel better, but Suzie's gloomy expression grew gloomier.
'Not house elves. They make mistake, they always punish them-self.'
'It's not necessary to punish themselves, Suzie. Not here at least. I'm going to tell you something.'

Suzie came a bit closer. 'I keeps Master's secret forever.'

'When I was young and foolish, I made many mistakes. One of them was making our house elf punish himself for nothing at all. I don't want you to make me feel guilty by punishing yourself over anything, okay? Promise me.'
'You is speaks of Dobby?'
Draco broke his gaze away, feeling his heart tearing.
'I ...' He couldn't speak.
'It's okay Master. Please gets ready. I presses your best suit for you.' Suzie began walking away.
'Guests...' Draco repeated, not quite believing it.

***
'Mother.'
'Yes?' she replied.
'I don't understand what it has to do with me. You can spend your time with them all you want, but I need to study.'
'Draco, it has very much to do with you. You must meet them.'
'Who are they? Why do they have anything to do with me?'
Narcissa sighed. 'Draco, I don't have time for questions. Just wear your best clothes and come down stairs when I call you, okay?'
Draco gave his mother a frustrated look before he took his robes and walked away to his closet to change.
**
He examined himself in the mirror. Even in that elegant robe, he looked dead tired with no grace at all.
He tried to brighten his expression a bit, failing at it miserably.
"Draco! They're here!" Narcissa yelled.
Descending down the stairs, he was met by familiar faces... Astoria Greengrass and her mother.
"Good evening!" Draco greeted, his mood brightening.
"Hello Draco." Mrs Greengrass smiles.
"Hi!" Astoria gave Draco a short hug.
"Mrs Greengrass and I will be in the hall, Draco, you can take Astoria out in the gardens and spend time with her. Be at the dining table by 8."
Draco led Astoria to the gardens.
"How are you?" He asked.
"I'm good, Draco. How's preparation for NEWTs?"
"Don't ask." Draco smiled.
"You look dashing." Astoria gave him a smirk.
"Haha, nice joke."
"I'm serious."
"I'm glad you are here." Draco sincerely spoke.
"That's really nice of you, Draco."
"It feels really good having a friend over. I've never had the experience."
"It's okay, things are improving now."
Astoria put a reassuring hand on Draco's shoulder.
"It sucks that my own father destroyed our life."
"If you look at it with a different perspective, he was trying to protect his family. I'm not saying he did the right thing, Draco, but he made a mistake unknowingly."
"Trust me, Astoria, I try telling myself the same thing. It just doesn't work. I'm tired of people treating me like I'm the same, naive Draco."
"You are not, Draco. And there are so many people who love you now for who you are. You were very brave, Draco. I admire you."
Draco gave Astoria's hand a squeeze.
"Thank you."
***
Dinner was more lively than usual. Mrs Greengrass entertained everyone with her interesting adventures with Mr Greengrass, and every now and then they would crack up laughing.
Then, for a little while everyone went silent.
"Draco and Astoria dear," Narcissa was the first to speak. "We want to talk to you both."
Not sure what to expect, Draco nodded.
"Since both of you are very good friends, you both must have a very good understanding." Mrs. Greengrass began.
"Yes, that's true." Astoria awkwardly agreed.
"Now both of you listen silently, okay? Then you tell us what you think of this." Narcissa took the lead.
"It's very important to find a person who's the best for you. Someone you can spend your whole life with without regretting it. Someone you know who will support you. Hence, we were wondering if you both would want to... you know? After you complete you education and get a good job, establish yourselves...?"
Draco and Astoria looked over at each other, shocked.
"You are joking, aren't you?" Astoria laughed.
"We are very serious."
"What you're thinking is extremely absurd! What makes you think we would want to get married?!" Draco looked at his mother, and Astoria nodded in agreement.
"Come to think of it!" Mrs. Greengrass insisted. "You both have such a good understanding! You would make the most of life together!"
"No mother! We won't!" Astoria objected. "We have the friendship which is a sibling like relationship. We will never be able to look at each other with a spouse's perspective."
"But you both are perfect for each other!" Narcissa persisted.
"No we are not." Draco stood up and calmly spoke.
All attention diverted to him. Astoria gave her mother a worried glance, and Narcissa looked at her son.
"Well... what excuse do you have?"
Draco decided it was time to break the news to them. He wasn't sure till now on how to tell his mother, but now he felt the need to.
"I do have a very solid reason." He argued.
"Draco, I don't think it's a good idea..." Astoria hinted on him to not say anything yet.
"No Astoria. It is. She needs to know, if not now then when?"
"I need to know what?" Narcissa pressed, looking worried.
"That I'm dating Hermione." He announced.