42: Guilt

As surprised as Jimin had been about it, Jeongguk still hadn't managed to find out about his frequent calls with Yoongi. It had been a few weeks since the first talk with him, although he had to admit that he was having a better time than he thought he would.

They talked about random things for hours on end, even as it became evident that Yoongi was suspicious of Jimin's excuses when he "had to leave". They were starting to get really repetitive, and probably quite embarrassing in Yoongi's opinion, if Jimin had to revert to assuming things.

Somewhere along the lines of telling stories to each other about the present, they had moved on to their past and told each other stories about what memories they had of the times when they were younger. Their childhoods, per se, were very different, from what he could tell. Though in his multiple frantic attempts to remember anything interesting, Jimin had blanked and left Yoongi wondering if he had hung up or lost reception.

It had been this particular day, however, that Jeongguk was supposed to be out with a group of friends. Jimin didn't happen to know any of them personally, so when Jeongguk headed out the door, he didn't ask to go with him—which was odd, considering that normally he would've followed after him if it had been a few months earlier.

Something about it didn't seem as compelling as Yoongi retelling a few more stories about himself, and Jimin sitting in the quiet living room, warming his hands and stomach with tea. Or possibly telling some himself, if he didn't happen to forget what he wanted to say at the exact wrong time.

He had settled on a warm part of the couch, heated from where Moon had been sitting a few minutes prior, and sipped his tea. The mug was helping him to warm up his hands, which were freezing cold after he had slept alone for what felt like the nth night, reaching out and becoming disappointed when there was nothing there, no one with him when he woke up.

Although he supposed that he deserved it, since Jeongguk had been upset with him for something recently. Unless that was him getting back at Jimin for the phone calls and he just hadn't been bothered to ask what was going on in the few times that they sat together and ate meals; that was one of the only things that they did together during the day now, save for the rare times that they sat in silence in the same room.

Things had changed since Jeongguk had left and come back, all in ways that Jimin hadn't expected. If he had to be completely honest, he had taken the younger's touchy nature for granted, longing for a hug of some kind or even just to hold hands. But he didn't get the jitters that he used to when he thought about it.

Those butterflies had left him alone for months, having migrated somewhere else quite suddenly. Maybe to someone else, though Jimin was as dense as a brick and couldn't find out who or even if there was anyone.

Maybe those butterflies had just died when he was least expecting it.

"Jimin?"

Jimin shook his head vigorously left and right, his eyes widened as he tried to recall what he and Yoongi had been talking about. Rather, what Yoongi had been talking about for the time that he had been letting his mind drift off to other things. It could have been any amount of time that he had zoned out for, but he thought that Yoongi would think he lost Jimin's interest or something along those lines.

"Hello?" Yoongi tried again. "Are you there?"

Oh yeah, he had been supposed to reply to what Yoongi had been saying.

"I'm here," he answered in a breathless sort of way, hearing Yoongi's soft laugh echoing almost immediately after.

"Okay, don't zone out on me again," Yoongi sighed. "I can't snap my fingers in front of your eyes like I would be able to if we were in real life."