1: Dreams

Jimin was used to getting up at four in the morning, but this morning, he slept in late. He didn't know why; it was not usually how he liked to go about things. Normally, the dawn welcomed him like a warm blanket on a rainy day. In his opinion, it was quite the strange description, but it described the feeling correctly. 

Most of the time, he wasn't tired. He normally felt like a ray of bright, happy sunshine, especially since coffee was something he drank daily. He happened to enjoy the bitterness when coffee rested on his tongue, the smell, everything about it.

But lately he felt like a dark cloud, filled with horrible gloom that he just couldn't shake off. Even with coffee, the sensation that something was dragging him down just wouldn't retreat. It was almost as if he'd suddenly realized just how tired he was, many of the things in his life that used to lift him up dragging him down instead.  

Firstly, there were his thoughts, swarming around his head, filling all of his thoughts. They made him do things that he shouldn't have, say things that he shouldn't have. Secondly, he had a dream.

It sounded simple in its complexity, really. He was surprised that he'd gotten so twisted up over something that was supposed to be normal, but he was fairly sure that this wasn't necessarily considered to be "normal". In fact, how unusual it was to him wasn't assuring in the least. 

Although it didn't seem surprising, it was the first of its kind—he didn't normally dream, and if he did, it wasn't interesting at all. The extent of his dreams were forgetting about a test, or almost tripping down several flights of stairs. Those typically ended in stress and tears.

But this was different, somehow. 

In this dream, there was a hooded figure. The only normal thing that he could say that he'd seen was how human-like the person looked. At least, out of what Jimin could tell, the person was a male. Even though he was intrigued, for a while he had been forced to follow the man around.

But around the end, he figured out how to control the dream, and eventually how to move around all by himself. Each time he tried to catch up to the man, he got faster, but he was never able to see who was under the hood. His stamina decreased significantly each time he started running. 

It was like he had become a video game character.  There were points where he couldn't do anything, those parts that he assumed he was supposed to find out something, where he couldn't move at all. 

And it was in those moments that he never paid attention, unfortunately, too bothered and fascinated with the scenery to even notice what was going on in front of him. 

The whole thing was bizarre. By the very end of the dream, which was unfortunately too soon, he'd lost the man altogether, waking up sweaty and exhausted. It was how he felt when he was completely drained, which wasn't actually that much of a rare occurrence nowadays.

But after, as the day grew old, he forgot about the whole experience. Maybe it was because he needed to pay attention to his professors, or maybe he had just chosen to shut it out. Or maybe it was because he might miss something important and fail one of his tests, which was more important.

It was a highly unlikely occurrence that one caught him concentrating on his classes, but it was key that he aced this class in particular as a result of having to retake it. Of course, he hadn't done very well in his classes the year prior; they weren't very alluring anyway. 

But it was a suspicious effect of the dream, how he didn't stare off into space at least once during his lecture.  

He found the instruction to be rather boring in all honestly—more like the professors, but that was beside the point. Listening to lectures was like sitting through a documentary that was assigned, not caring about whatever they were supposed to be absorbing, but still having to pay attention.