12: Separated

Jimin was up late, contemplating whether he should buy a gift for Jeongguk or not. There was only a week left until his birthday, but the boy seemed to make it his sole duty for them to avoid each other.

Besides, even if he did want to purchase something, what would it be? He didn't know many of Jeongguk's interests besides Overwatch and banana milk. Well, how could he know? The boy never really liked expressing his thoughts on certain topics. 

The boy had expressed his interest in becoming a pro-gamer multiple times, but didn't really take the idea to heart. Jimin envied him; Jeongguk got to dance while the elder was stuck in business.

Speaking of which, his professor seemed to absolutely despise him. She gave him extra assignments, things to do that weren't necessary. To make matters worse, she even considered making him stay after class to help clean, but the janitor stopped by early and saved his life. She really should've been fired before she caused other students to stay in her class for a year longer than necessary.

Knock.

Knock.

Knock, knock, knock.

That was an unfamiliar sound to his ears by now. He hadn't been expecting anyone and forgotten, had he? Or had his professor somehow managed to find his dorm and wanted to give a lecture and beat him as she did so?

He didn't doubt she could've actually done it.

Jimin cocked a brow, setting down his water glass, standing up. He ran a hand through his hair, wondering who was up at this ungodly hour. Wait a moment, wasn't he doing exactly that?

It caused him to wonder, where had his—

Knock, knock.

For some reason, he had hope with each time that there was a knock on the door. Hope that it would be Jeongguk. Wait, that was impossible. Why would the boy come back? And for Jimin of all people? Exactly, the answer was that he wouldn't come back for Jimin so soon. Not after Jimin had made such a mistake.

Jimin sighed, shuffling over to the doorway. Who could it be? He ran one more hand through his hair, throwing open the door. Prepared to run for his life, he squeezed his eyes shut.

"Hello?" It was a female voice; one he recognized. "Jimin, my goodness, are you okay?"

Yeji? Oh.

"Hi," Jimin said and put on the lamest smile ever, pawing his eyes. He could feel the tears, those tears, threatening to expose him. Once again, he felt lame for hoping. His mouth continued on without his brain's consent, "Yeji, was it?" 

Thankfully, he said nothing he regretted. Nonetheless, with the constant chaos in his mind, he tried to seem excited for the unexpected visitor. She seemed to buy it. Either he was a good liar, or she was a fake buyer. He would prefer the former.

"Yes!" Yeji smiled. It was then that he noticed a bag hanging by her side. She didn't have a plan to kidnap him, did she? If she was, he was prepared with all he had. Even his self defense skills from his younger years, he still hadn't thought that it would end this way, with him in his apartment, completely defenseless.

She seemed to notice him squirming, because she smiled at him again.

"Oh, I hope I haven't made you uncomfortable, I only meant to bring you this," she said, still smiling. The bag she held out probably weighed much, judging by the amount of effort she put into holding it upright.

He took the bag carefully from her hands, examining it like it was some sort of explosive material that could take both of them out at any moment. "What is it?"