8: Numb

Jimin didn't mean to sound so rude, it was just that Jeongguk was holding a duffel bag, clutching his phone, and whispering to the other. 

Not to mention, what was Kim Taehyung doing in Jimin's living room? Especially this early in the morning? Didn't he have classes to be attending?

A few months ago to a year, he wouldn't have reacted this way. Not anywhere close to this, in fact, as he would've been happy to see Taehyung in his apartment in the morning making breakfast, even if it tasted like literal shit. 

For a while, he'd considered Taehyung his best friend. The younger boy was always there for him and for Jeongguk. They'd been inseparable. Just like Jimin thought, nothing could keep them from growing from farther apart. 

And for a while that was true, until a few things happened and, let's say, they weren't as close as they used to be. They still aren't as close as they used to be. It might've been the result of Jimin's stupidity. Leave it up to Jimin to be clueless about the situation between his two younger friends until it's too late.

He looked down at the boy's Gucci outfit, observing his outfit of choice for the day. Jeez, the brand was practically all he wore. But that was the kind of the effect of being rich and spoiled. But he was not a brat because of it, and thankfully he was more kind than most. 

His parents were rich and used to give Jimin gifts for no reason, their generosity and hope to give others what they wanted overflowing. Despite their efforts to feel welcoming and like a second home, all Jimin felt when he thought of them was jealousy. They had enough money to afford gifts for their son, plus others that he cared about. 

In some ways, it didn't seem fair. Jimin had wanted a family that had money to spare, to give his friends gifts and to help his parents when they needed it. Before it had become too late to go back. He still hoped that maybe sometimes it wasn't too late, but that in itself was a debatable idea.

But Jimin didn't have time to think about it. He still couldn't comprehend what Taehyung was doing in his living room at this time in the morning, for fuck's sake. He opened his mouth, struggling to talk, to form words. 

"Jimin," Taehyung began. The boy flicked his wavy hair, the dimly-lit light of the living room illuminating his perfect skin. Sometimes, Jimin got jealous. He thought that the boy was virtually perfect, unlike him, who had so many flaws. "This isn't what it looks like."

Sure, sure, he told himself in his mind, and he completely agreed with it. This was probably exactly what it looked like. 

"Then what is it?" Jimin crossed his arms, flinging a strand of damp hair out of his face. "Because I'm fairly sure it is what I think it is."

"No, Jimin, it's not. Let me explain." Taehyung held his arms up, glancing to the side at Jeongguk, who was twiddling his thumbs nervously. "Gguk, will you excuse us for a moment?"

The youngest of the trio nodded, shuffling into his room. Jimin could hear Jeongguk's heavy footsteps upon his exit, the way he sighed when he knew that they were about to argue about something. Jimin could say that's how he felt the entire morning, except for when he had been happy about thinking about calling Hoseok. 

"Don't come out until Jimin tells you to, please," Taehyung called over his shoulder, his eyes not leaving Jimin's face even as he stopped talking.

They waited until the door clicked shut, until they heard the sound of Jeongguk plopping onto his bed. As soon as he was out of sight, Taehyung began glaring lasers into Jimin's neck. He couldn't make eye contact with the boy anymore, as it was too intense for his liking. Even after he stopped staring, the boy continued to glare.